PDA

View Full Version : Carpenters Rafter Square

Bob Johnson2
03-24-2005, 5:01 PM
Or at least that's what I grew up calling them, they are an 16" x 24" flat "L".

I bought a new one a couple months ago to replace the one I can't read the numbers on anymore and just noticed that the 2" wide leg is 1/16th" thinner at the tip of the 24" leg then at the 90 degree end. Can someone check theirs and see if this is normal or if mines a reject?

Dan Oelke
03-24-2005, 5:38 PM
From what you said, either the inside or the outside is not really square, so then it must be a reject. 1/16" is a lot to be out of square. I wouldn't expect a framing square to be accurate to 0.001" but 0.063 is too much IMHO.

George Summers
03-24-2005, 6:45 PM
I have one that is exactly the same way. Some time ago I checked it with the thought of tweaking it (you know, the center punch at the inside or outside corner). I tweaked the outside angle and checked the inside, off. I tweaked the inside and checked the outside, off. Found the same problem you have. Next time I was in the store, I checked the entire stock, all were the same. I use it more for outside than inside so I just tweaked it for outside square and thats all I use it for.

George

Michael Perata
03-24-2005, 8:49 PM
Try these, cost more, but they are very accurate and "square":
http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?GroupID=594

Bob Johnson2
03-24-2005, 9:07 PM
Thanks folks, anyone want a carpenters unsquare? Free if you pay the shipping... Think I'll send a nasty gram to Stanley.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-24-2005, 11:10 PM
I only use them for rough cuts and stair stringers....none of them have ever been dead accurate.

Rick Whitehead
03-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Do you mean that the steel is thinner at the end of the blade than the corner?
If so, that is a good thing. The blade and tongue on better quality squares are tapered to save weight and to leave the most metal in the corner, where it is most needed.
I have several framing squares. Some are tapered, some aren't.It doesn't really matter to me. All I care about is if they're square!
Hope this helps.
Rick

George Summers
03-25-2005, 8:07 AM
Rick -

Mine was 2" wide at the angle and 1-15/16" wide at the tip.

George