PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

Ted Calver
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
A nice little bowl from an old blank I found while cleaning the garage... 10"d x 5.5"h... finished with Mahoney's Utility Finish (Walnut Oil), then waxed with my own concoction of Mahoney's and beeswax. The band and ledge are designed to help arthritic fingers pick up the bowl. The wood was given to me by an arborist friend and came from one of the nearby military installations. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Sean Hughto
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Looks great! I like the band. Last weekend I roughed about 10 cherry blanks. A few have similar curves, bands, and grain to this one. I hope they come out as well as yours when I return them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6834658434_0848c09d20_z.jpg

Bill Bolen
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Cherry is my favorite wood to turn. There always seems to be some kind of color or figure going on somewhere in the blanks. You sure brought this one to life. Love your signature block. Wish my printing was 1/2 of what yours is.:)

Jim Burr
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Beautiful chunk of wood Ted!! I working on the shape/rim...I get the concept, but was wondering if you could use the same width and move it up a bit. But seeing the diameter...it could get really hefty!

jeremy levine
03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Love the wood on the inside, nice refreshing simple form,

charlie knighton
03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Beautiful wood with a lot of character in it Ted. You have a nice curve on the lower half though I visually don't care for the lower edge of the band looking like it is in the middle of the overall height. Don't know if it would be as practical for your intended purpose, but it might appeal to me a bit more if that break was a bit higher up.

Prashun Patel
03-14-2012, 1:53 PM
I like everything about this bowl. The figure is wonderful. The foot is appropriate and lifts the form well (IMHO).

I love the band as it is. I love it when 'form mathematics' is challenged, and the art deliberately pushes the viewer a little out of his comfort zone. That balance between the old and the bold is hard to achieve (read, for me), and I think this one does it for me.

Pete Jordan
03-14-2012, 2:11 PM
Nice job Ted!

The cherry looks like choke cherry.

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2012, 2:44 PM
Wow - beautiful wood! Nice form and I understand your use of hte band but agree with Baxter that it would be more appealing (to me) if the band was 1/3 the way down from the rim. Just my opinion... but the bowl sure is pretty!!

James Roberts
03-14-2012, 4:26 PM
Just gotta love that cherry. Very nice work on a sweet piece of wood. I really like the design as I'm a little partial to good, heavy "user" bowls.

Brian Tymchak
03-14-2012, 5:45 PM
....The band and ledge are designed to help arthritic fingers pick up the bowl.

That'a a great idea! One of those ah-ha! moments for me. Congrats on a fine bowl and the practicality of the design to fit a purpose.

John Keeton
03-14-2012, 6:16 PM
Ted, I think you achieved a very nice curve on the bottom, and while I do agree with the aesthetics of the rim comments, I also understand your reasoning for the extended band. Should work well! Nice wood, too.

Michelle Rich
03-15-2012, 6:42 AM
I like your rather off kilter/oversize rim..we all need to push the limits of normal, and what we usually see in vessels.

Jerry Rhoads
03-15-2012, 7:10 AM
Ted, I looked at this piece a few times. I have decided that I like the shape and rim placement. You gave the bowl some artful taste and it is still a very useful. bowl. I love what Cherry shows us. It is truly one of the woods that you never know what you will get till you are done.
Well done.