PDA

View Full Version : Trade in Jet 1642 for Jet 1220?

david brum
03-14-2012, 1:45 AM
Hi All

A few years ago, I bought a used Jet 1642 EVS for reasonable money. I'm completely happy with this lathe, except that I don't use it as much as I'd anticipated. It takes up a chunk of valuable floor space in my shop.

I have used it to turn a 16" bowl, but my wife doesn't really need any more of those. Most of the other lathe projects are 6-10" bowls and various furniture parts, chisel handles, etc. I've never yet needed to turn a table leg.

I'm starting to think I might have too much lathe for my needs. I've looked at the Jet 12-20s, and they seem like they are made on a more suitable scale. I'm sure I will still turn the occasional bowl, but this would mostly be used for furniture parts.

I know that this is a subjective question, but would that be a serious step down in quality? Any other suggestions?

Russell Neyman
03-14-2012, 4:33 AM
I sent you a PM about a possible swap.

charlie knighton
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
both lathes make objects go round for shaping

Jamie Donaldson
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't do it David! I've never known a turner who wanted a smaller lathe as their only lathe after turning on a larger one! The trend is almost always to larger and larger machines, unless you can make room for 1 of each size.

Baxter Smith
03-14-2012, 12:39 PM
David, I don't know how great your space restrictions are or if this is practical. Is there any way to slide your headstock halfway down the ways and stick the other end under a workbench, outfeed table, or hanging wall cabinet. Perhaps build a shelf that attaches to the far left end that one of your bench top power tools could sit on. Of course this is coming from someone who now uses a full sized lathe more than all their other large powertools combined. Not that I am ready to get rid of any of those either.;):)

Roger Chandler
03-14-2012, 1:58 PM
No way I would trade down from a VS lathe with inverter to a reeves drive lathe! I think you should just keep what you have and so if it is a bit bigger than you need most of the time, there will be a time when you would likely regret that you went smaller...........

James Roberts
03-14-2012, 4:31 PM
Normally I would counsel you as the others have and say keep the bigger lathe but...I just happen to have a little jet 12-20 vs:rolleyes:. Ahh..forget it, you're too far away for it to work. Keep the lathe!

david brum
03-14-2012, 7:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I was afraid you'd say that I should just keep it. I actually used it today to make some furniture handles. It's a nice machine. I'm going to think hard about Baxter's idea of sticking one end under a cabinet. That would be a great solution and would work in my situation.

Alan Zenreich
03-14-2012, 8:20 PM
No way I would trade down from a VS lathe with inverter to a reeves drive lathe!.

Roger, the 1220 is not a Reeves drive there is a 5 speed and a VS version with electronic variable speed. The 1236 and 1440 models are Reeves drive machines.

Jim Underwood
03-14-2012, 11:02 PM
My neighbor has a 1220. It seemed like a decent machine. It's kinda like a 1014 (Jet mini) on steroids. But I'd not trade down from my 1642 for it...
Although the 1220 does not have a Reeves drive, I still agree that you should definitely stay away, far away, from a Reeves drive. I've had nothing but trouble out of them...

Roger Chandler
03-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Roger, the 1220 is not a Reeves drive there is a 5 speed and a VS version with electronic variable speed. The 1236 and 1440 models are Reeves drive machines.

Sorry, my mistake.........I thought it had a reeves drive...........my bad! :o

Philip Morris
03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
David,
I will go against the flow and say that I have had a Oneway 1640 and a Jet 1642. I now have a Delta 46-460 Midi and a Delta 1460 (both 12" swings) and do not miss the larger capacity. They were great lathes, just more than I need. Between limits on shop space, inside display space and lower back capacity, I no longer have a need or a desire to turn large bowls.

My Delta Midi is comparable to the Jet 1220 VS (more horsepower, but shorter bed, no handles...). Although I think general quality is very good, there seems to be a little more plastic than on the Jet 1642. My biggest peeve of the Midi lathes is the 5/8" tool post. You can feel the tool rest flex when roughing out a blank at the lathe's capacity. Plus the tightening handle tends to gouge the tool rest post because there is so little bearing surface. This makes it harder to make slight adjustments in tool rest height.

Lastly, note that if you go with a Midi you will only be able to swing 9" and still be able to pass the tool rest base under it freely. Makes turning a 12" bowl more challenging than on a larger lathe.

david brum
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Philip. That is good perspective. I'm still contemplating the best course of action. I'm pretty sure that I would be happy with a smaller lathe, but I'll have to try one first. I just discovered that there is a good turning club which meets just down the road from me. If I ask nicely, maybe one of the members will let me try his midi lathe.