PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and my Delta 46-450

Michael Harrington
03-14-2012, 1:24 AM
First of all I want to thank everyone on sawmill creek for being a viable source of information from equipment reviews to techniques. I grew up in the construction industry as my father owned his own high end residential general contracting business which he started from the ground up doing small jobs in Queens to eventually working exclusively is some of the premier buildings throughout Manhattan. The overwhelming feeling of excitement and nostalgia sweeping through me as I walked through the innards of Manhattan’s oldest buildings is still very tangible at the age of 35. It was my obsession with perfection during those years when I realized I really wanted to do woodworking and other such precision trades. Anyway, to get to the point, I have been looking at purchasing a wood lathe for the last month or two and have found a few prospective options-Woodtek, General (Made in Canada), and a Delta 46-450. In the end I settled for the Delta at $625.00. When I got her home, I powered her up and there was no real noise except for some noise that I would take is normal operating sounds, however I have no idea what sounds if any are expected for the Delta. I have a few questions that I’m sure you guys might know. I was told I can wire a drum 2HP 3PH () on the Delta 46-450.
A few questions:

Can I mount a drum switch such as a Dayton 4UYE8 on this model Delta?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Drum-Switch-4UYE8?cm_mmc=CSE:GoogleBase-_-Electrical-_-Starters and Contactors-_-4UYE8&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4UYE8

Can a digital variable speed control be wired, and if so can it be used in conjunction with a drum switch?
Will a MT2 spur center fit the headstock, since mine is missing?
I need a replacement tailstock hand wheel and preferably a replacement variable speed lever and knob

I have the parts manual for this lathe, but I’m still waiting for owner manual to arrive. So far I have searched Delta, OWWM, E-bay, craigslist, and a few others you guys recommended, but still nothing. On a separate note, I wanted to know what would be a good source of information on turning for beginners? I apologize for not having researched this aspect yet. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Michael

John Keeton
03-14-2012, 5:40 AM
Michael, can't help on the questions, but just wanted to welcome you to the creek and congratulate you on your purchase! I recall several threads on the 46-450. You can do a Google search with this string (delta 46-450 site:sawmillcreek.org) and it will give you the threads on the creek where the 46-450 is mentioned. That may be helpful, too.

Dennis Ford
03-14-2012, 7:06 PM
I am not familiar enough with that model to be sure about your questions but will offer some info on digital variable speed.
* A digital variable speed (variable frequency drive) can be used to control the speed of three phase motors. If you have a single phase motor, this would require a motor change in addition to the drive. (this would likely add up to almost as much as you spent on the lathe) A drum switch would not be needed for a variable frequency drive.

Michael Harrington
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
John&Dennis thank you for the welcome. I have a 1hp 3ph motor. Any particular manufacturer or model VFD that you would recommend? I read through the threads related to the 46-450 prior to posting and checked out the info posted. I actually found a tail stock from a Delta 1460 on Ebay that should be a match for my tail stock.

What would you guys recommend for a new turner as far as instructional books, dvd's etc?