PDA

View Full Version : Gauge gloat

Larry McGarrah
03-13-2012, 11:59 PM
I found this super nice Stanley No. 92 gauge at the local swapmeet. The asking price was fair but I offered the guy way less for it than than the $45 he was asking. He thought about my offer for a few seconds and accepted my $25. These double gauges are IMHO some of the nicest gauges Stanley ever made.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o28/biomed1/?action=view&current=stanley92.jpg

harry strasil
03-14-2012, 1:25 AM
Nice clean gauge, but where are the scribing pins?

Joe Bailey
03-14-2012, 1:36 AM
Nice clean gauge, but where are the scribing pins?In the old Stanley catalogs, that model is lumped in with their butt gauges, rather than their marking gauges.227079
But the copy makes clear that it can be used as a marking gauge.

Larry McGarrah
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
The scribing pin is a flat metal piece on the end of the adjustable center gauge. The center gauge moves in and out by turning the screw on the back end of the gauge. These were top of the line gauges and were designed to be butt and rabbet gauges but they work very well as a mortise gauge. My understanding is Stanley discontinued making these around 1939.

Tony Shea
03-14-2012, 5:02 PM
i also own and use one of these gauges. I do like the gauge a lot and like the overall design. The issue with mine is it came with the piece that tightens down on the beam missing. I find this piece missing on lots of old marking gauges. I use a small peice of wood at the moment but would love to find the proper missing peice.