PDA

View Full Version : Question on Jet Parallel clamp I beams

Bob Lloyd
03-13-2012, 10:49 PM
A few years ago I bought some new Jet Parallel clamps and have recently bought some used on Craigslist. Following a post today in Deals and Discounts for the 2-packs, I ordered some from Amazon. On another site, mention was made by one person quoting from Amazon that the rails are aluminum. I checked on Amazon, under the product descriptions; for the 12" and 24" it specifically mentions aluminum I beams, for the other sizes it states " durable aluminum design, superior I-beam construction" . The rails of the ones that I have are steel. No one around here sells them so I cannot check it out. I am sure this is not right. Has something changed here? Please tell me that is this just a typo!

Van Huskey
03-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Amazon is notorious for bad descriptions. I have never seen an aluminum beam on any Jet clamp, all of mine from 12 to 60" are steel. I am willing to bet that it is a misprint, unless thay have changed very recently. I didn't check Jets site, so you may want to.

Bob Lloyd
03-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Van

I did check Jet's site, the description said nothing either way. I am hoping/assuming Amazon is wrong, I just wondered if anyone knew anything definitely.

Van Huskey
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
I can't find anywhere else besides Amazon that uses the text they have in the description, I did see on Acme Tools they list the material for the same part number as steel. The listed weight on Amazon is the same as everywhere else, 5.5lb, I just weighed one of my 12" ones (steel) and it weighs over 4 lbs the max my scale goes to. I think they will be steel when you get them in, please update the thread when you can actually verify, I and I am sure others would be interested.

shane lyall
03-14-2012, 12:05 AM
All mine are steel as well. I've wished they were aluminum when I'm using the 50 inch and have to move a panel out of my way to do another one! Just kidding! I'd rather use a hoist to move them than deal with flex. I don't have any other brand of par clamps but love my Jets.

Bob Lloyd
03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Van

I have not received any yet but I emailed Jet last week. I just heard back, their response was " The JET parallel clamps are made of #45 steel with the surface nickel plated." You were right, it was a misprint.

Bob

Van Huskey
03-21-2012, 1:14 AM
Van

I have not received any yet but I emailed Jet last week. I just heard back, their response was " The JET parallel clamps are made of #45 steel with the surface nickel plated." You were right, it was a misprint.

Bob

Thanks! I figured it was because I figured we would have heard about it if not here on some forum somewhere, unless these were the first ever to ship out. This would be the first place I would come if I bought or saw one that was aluminum!

Charles Wiggins
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I think I found the source of the misinformation. If you look at Jet's Parallel Clamp brochure (http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/sellsheets/70460_ss.pdf), down at the very bottom-right there is a brief description of their screw on bench dogs that says, "Aluminum design For maximum clamp stability". Obviously, this is referring to the dogs, but I bet someone at Amazon who didn't know any better just tacked it on.

Van Huskey
03-21-2012, 1:22 PM
Charles, that is indeed where is came from! I looked around but didn't find that, I was convinced it was pulled from someplace, I just didn't find where. Thanks