PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes It's Nice To Get Out...

Jim Koepke
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Even with snow falling, we had planned to get out and head down to Vancouver, WA this morning. A little precipitation isn't going to stop us when we are out of milk and coffee at the same time.

After shopping and getting some lumber we were headed home and decided to stop at an antique shop we like. Well, here are just two reasons I like it:

The two of them were about $60 so it wasn't a super deal, but I have been wanting a dovetail saw and at 10" this Jackson/Warranted Superior will likely do nicely.

It needs some new teeth, but it will likely be harder to decide the count, rake and fleam than to actually put on a new set of teeth.

Just holding it I can see why some prefer the #50 over the #45. For smaller work it seems more comfortable to use.

jtk

Paul Saffold
03-14-2012, 7:33 AM
I have a Jackson Warranted Superior open handled saw and really like the feel and hang. Hope you enjoy yours.

Zach Dillinger
03-14-2012, 9:12 AM
I've got both tools, a 50 and a Jacksaw dovetail saw. I love that little Jackson! My 50 sees most use cutting beads, as I prefer my wooden plows for grooving, but it sure does handle itself well. At $60 for the pair, that was a good buy as far as I'm concerned! My 50 was free (it was my dad's), but I know they go for more than $50 usually, so you can figure the Jackson was free!

David Weaver
03-14-2012, 9:17 AM
I also have one of the jackson dovetail saws. Mines a bit older (split nuts and flush sunken medallion), but I overpaid for it a while ago, not knowing that it was a WS off branded saw, and it showed up in worse condition than described. However, it's a nice user, and I consider it my "fat line" dovetail saw when I want room to work with the coping saw to cut out waste.

I could get by without any other dovetail saws. I would much rather use it, with the open tote, than a disston #4 with the bulky fat closed tote they have - that #4 tote just looks out of place to me on a small dovetail saw.

Paul Saffold
03-14-2012, 5:08 PM
Jim, not to hijack your thread, but... David, how do you determine age on the Jackson's? Mine sounds like yours with the split nuts and sunken eagle medallion but is larger (12")? I tried to find info online for Jacksons and Simmons saws without much luck. Thanks, Paul

Jim Koepke
03-14-2012, 5:22 PM
Jim, not to hijack your thread, but... David, how do you determine age on the Jackson's?

No problem, I would like to know this also. I haven't even pulled the saw nuts yet to date that way.

I have worked the handle a bit to make it more comfortable and oiled it.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
03-14-2012, 6:52 PM
I also have a Jackson open-handled backsaw. Mine has split nuts and was sharpened up by Tom Law while he was still sharpening. It remains one of my favorite saws. The blade is a bit thicker than the saw plates of modern makers, but the saw cuts so sweet!

James Taglienti
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I have the open handle jackson too! Its an 8 inch... The plate is pretty thick but i dont care in the least. I originally bought it for my wife but i kinda took it back a little while later. Its weird, i thought they were uncommon but i guess not!