PDA

View Full Version : Where to post for your advice?

Robert Trotter
03-13-2012, 8:04 PM
I have a number of projects I want to do. I have a hand tools only shop and I want to ask questions and get your advice on design and how to... and what to... for joints etc. for hand tool work. These projects are a little more ambitious for me and would like to get them right. They are also for learning and for therapy:rolleyes:.

So should I post in the design forum and then ask some questions here in the neander forum or can I just start a thread for each project here in the neander forum and everyone can help me get it done? Starting with concept drawings and your help on joint selection and joinery etc for hand tool work...

Rob.

Jim Foster
03-13-2012, 8:42 PM
Not quite an answer to your question, but I found a book called titled "The Essential Woodworker" by Robert Wearing to be a very good read. Also Logan Cabinet Shoppe blog and "how to" videos are well appreciated.

This forum is also great, and I'm sure you can ask away here, but if you want a few other avenues, those are two I have found to be good.

Robert Trotter
03-13-2012, 8:58 PM
Thanks Jim...I have the book and have seen the site.

Jim Matthews
03-13-2012, 9:10 PM
Here's good.

What's on your mind?
I'm an excellent resource on how to fix errors of your own making...

Pictures will go a long way to explain the problem.
While you're looking, check the blogs of our own Derek Cohen (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/)and Bob Rozaieski of The Logan Cabinet Shoppe (http://logancabinetshoppe.com/about.html).

These two have a direct and thorough way with bringing an idea across.

If you're looking for a text, I think Jim Tolpin's "The new traditional woodworker" which has a comprehensive approach to working (mostly) by hand.

jim
wpt, ma

Robert Trotter
03-13-2012, 9:15 PM
Thanks... I think I will just post here in the Neandre forum and make it a "Help me build it" thread. then I can keep eveything in one place and other can see how things progress and see the differnt advice.
Rob