PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Piercing Tool Experiment

Eric Holmquist
03-13-2012, 6:04 PM
I got a bit curious to see if the low cost dental handpieces on eBay could do the same job as my NSK Presto. So after a bit of research on the topic, I got a handpiece for $20, a hose assembly that mates with the handpiece (they are ISO standard fittings) for $15. That plus a bottle of turbine oil and a 4mm tube to 1/8" BSPP fitting for $4. I pulled a 1/8" BSPP quick disconnect fitting out of my airbrush supplies and I was ready to give it a try.

First tried piercing a goose egg, worked fine, no noticeable difference in the cuts.

Second experiment, tried piercing some 1/8" plywood, worked fine, no noticeable difference in the cuts.

Third experiment, 3/32 wall thickness Sweet Gum bowl, begun with the Presto, , no noticeable difference in the cuts.

So far, I've only used the cheap tool for about 30 minutes, so I have no idea how long it will last. But at $20 for the handpiece with a replacement turbine costing only $16, its not a bad option to use in a public demo or let folks try out without too much worry about stolen / broken tools. I have hundreds of hours on my Presto and it still works / looks like new.

Pros
It seems to deliver adequate performance at a low price. Assuming you already have a compressor, for around $75 you could have a piercing system once you add burrs and a mini regulator / moisture trap.

It uses slightly less air, it takes 75 seconds from full charge to trip the pressure switch on my Makita compressor. The Presto trips the compressor in 60 seconds. The compressor recovers slightly more quickly with the cheap tool running, 40 seconds vs 45 for the Presto.

Cons
Free running, it is noisier, and does not appear to run as smoothly as my Presto. I feel a little vibration with the cheap tool, none with the Presto. Vibration / noise nothing like a Dremel.

Have to remember to lube it periodically. A few drops before you start, and let it run for 30 seconds.

The swept back right angle style of the tool is tough to use on a concave surface. I began the piercing with the Presto from the inside of the bowl, and wanted to keep a consistent look. It was harder to hold the cheap tool to keep the burr square with the surface without interference between the tool handle and the rim of the bowl.

Scott Conners
03-13-2012, 6:57 PM
Great info! How did they compare in RPM? Could you tell a difference in the pitch of the whine or anything?

Eric Holmquist
03-13-2012, 7:14 PM
The cheap tool is rated at 300,000+ RPM like my Presto. It has the same whistle sound with a background whine.

If I ever want to fool with it, it is a 4 hole model, so Drive Air, Exhaust Air, Water Jet and Air Jet. If I decide to etch glass, I can run water through the water jet hose.

Eric Holmquist
03-13-2012, 7:54 PM
Here is a work in progress shot of a pierced bowl, half of which was done with my Presto and half with the cheap tool.
Here is the cheap piercing rig