PDA

View Full Version : J/P Problems

Jon Middleton
03-13-2012, 2:03 PM
My Inca 570 is giving me fits, in that it won't give me a flat face-jointed surface. The last part of the boards isn't getting cut, so I'm tapering each board. I think it's the outfeed table adjustment, but I don't seem to be getting it right. The gap on the infeed table looks even, and a straightedge on the outfeed table doesn't touch the knives when turned by hand. What am I missing?

Jim Matthews
03-13-2012, 5:40 PM
How long are the boards in play? Did you check the works for level? If you're planing heavy stock and the outfeed table is tipped "downhill" you're also fighting gravity.

Is the base of the Inca bolted down? If the front bolts beneath the infeed are loose, the whole works will pivot slightly as the center of gravity shifts past the cutter.

I set the outfeed such that the knife catches the edge of a ruler and advances the ruler 1/8" as it is turned by hand.
With the Tersa blade, it will extend with the centripedal force applied as the head spins. This may account for why the blades don't touch the straightedge when you turn it by hand.

You can do two simple checks with the Inca;
Check to see if the outfeed table arm is snug - turn the knob at the end of the long screw that holds it onto the cross bar.
Put a support block under the outfeed table to keep it from flexing.

jim
wpt, ma

Jon Middleton
03-14-2012, 1:19 PM
The unit is level, and bolted to a stoutly built stand which has locking wheels on one end and adjustable feet on the other, and the outfeed table is tight to the stops. I have the problem with even 30" boards. That's why it's frustrating, especially since I have owned it for a long time and haven't had problems previously. I'll play with it tomorrow when I have some more time. My wife says I should just buy a new one. My shop is small, so size is more of an issue than price. Any recommendations for a high quality combination unit? I haven't looked around.

Zach Callum
03-14-2012, 8:03 PM
When is the last time you replaced the knives? Also, like Jim said, the knives should be just a hair above the outfeed table. If that isn't the problem, then it is time to get out the straight edge, and readjust the tables. For the size, I don't think anyone is making a better jointer/planer, than the Inca. Do what you can to bring it back into alignment.

John Coloccia
03-14-2012, 8:22 PM
a straightedge on the outfeed table doesn't touch the knives when turned by hand. What am I missing?

The straightedge needs to touch the knives.

John Coloccia
03-14-2012, 8:28 PM
BTW, the Inca is a Rube Goldberg machine, especially regarding the changeovers, but in terms of quality you have a high quality unit.

Jon Middleton
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
The knives were almost new. I'll get to it tomorrow. I called Jesse at Eagle today and ordered the fancy knives and aluminum handle for the outfeed table.

Jim Matthews
03-15-2012, 8:10 AM

Do Tersa knives "extend" a little when the machine spools up to speed?

John Coloccia
03-15-2012, 8:13 AM
Do Tersa knives "extend" a little when the machine spools up to speed?
The knives stay put. There is a wedge that extends to clamp the knife. After the first run, nothing moves anymore, actually. The wedges seat the first second after turning them on, and then to remove the knives you have to tap the wedges back down.

Jon Middleton
03-15-2012, 1:48 PM
Yes, that's correct, the knives are fixed in position after the first time you start the machine after replacing the knives. So, one can accurately adjust the outfeed table by turning the cutterhead by hand. I'll give followup when I figure it out, if I figure it out.

Jon Middleton
03-15-2012, 4:03 PM
I hit the edges of the metall guide plates with 600 grit wet or dry paper, the waxed the contact surfaces of the races, etc. It's working fine after adjusting the outfeed table so that the knives move a straightedge 3-4mm when the cutterhead is rotated. So, all is good for now, and I can go back to making sawdust.

Myk Rian
03-15-2012, 4:38 PM
Yep. Put the outfeed level with the knives.