PDA

View Full Version : Starting a family

Bruce Page
03-24-2005, 2:46 PM
I think this is my first post on the dark side. :eek:
I recently adopted these siblings (#’s 4, 5 & 7) from fellow creeker Terry Hatfield. While I will always be primarily an electron burner, these guys do feel awfully good when I put them to wood. All three are older than I am but after Terry’s deft refurbishing, tweaking and sharpening they look and perform like new. I have been reading Garrett Hack’s “The Handplane Book” and it is obvious that there is a lot more to these Neanderthal things than I thought!

Terry does a wonderful job tuning these tools, so if he’s selling, and you’re in the market for a good hand plane, I wouldn’t hesitate a second. ;)

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 3:01 PM
I also have a Terry Hatfield "machine" (a #4) and it's everything you describe yours to be. Those are very nice, Bruce! Time to make a special home for them to live between uses... ;)

Bruce Page
03-24-2005, 6:03 PM
I also have a Terry Hatfield "machine" (a #4) and it's everything you describe yours to be. Those are very nice, Bruce! Time to make a special home for them to live between uses... ;)Thanks Jim, Terry does do nice work. I really don’t expect my collection to get much bigger, so I can’t justify a nice wall cabinet like Dave Anderson’s or the one Tony Sade posted a few days ago. For the time being they’ll just have to live with some electron burners in my storage cabinet. :rolleyes:

Terry Hatfield
03-24-2005, 9:28 PM
Thanks much Bruce and Jim!!!!!

I have really enjoyed restoring the planes. It's pretty cool to be able to get them back in good conditon and see others enjoying them.

Thanks again,

t

edit: BTW Bruce...nobody ever really planned on their plane assortment getting big. Beware...you might have already been assimilated!! :D

Tony Falotico
03-24-2005, 10:38 PM
I too have one of Terry's restorations, a #4C Type 16 Stanley. Very nicely done, sharp and easy to use. Looking forward to some more.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-25-2005, 8:34 AM
Those look brand new! Wow they really look great. If (when) I start the deep slide, I will be keeping my eyes out for one of Terry's refurbs!

Mark Singer
03-25-2005, 8:42 AM
Great planes....your hooked!