PDA

View Full Version : Color fill on glass

Joe Hillmann
03-13-2012, 1:03 PM
I am wondering if anyone here knows of any paint or dye that gives a nice dark color to engraving on glass. Just about everything I have tried doesn't hold enough color for it to be visible when the glass is hung in a window. The only thing that I have found to work is to mask it, engrave it then spray paint it but I would like to be able to add dark color fill on items that are already done.

Mike Null
03-13-2012, 1:13 PM
Joe

I've seen some of the glass paint you find at the craft stores and it has a reasonably opaque quality. It has to be baked on in your oven.

Bill Cunningham
03-17-2012, 6:47 PM
A few years ago, my daughter used some air dryglass paint on a few of our house windows. It's still there, and opaque. It's sold in a squeeze bottle, and simulates stained glass. the black or grey simulated the lead.. She bought it at Michael's

Martin Boekers
03-18-2012, 1:11 PM
Sharpie makes opaque oil based pens that work good on glass. I haven't had a chance
to play with masking, the paper masks I tried bled. The ink stayed nice on the glass
though. I do see potential with this if I get a chance to play with the masking.

Joe Hillmann
03-19-2012, 9:50 AM
Since originally posting the question the customer who was wanting the color fill found that sharpie markers work pretty well.

Dee Gallo
03-19-2012, 2:25 PM
So let's see some pics, Joe! I'm interested to know if you covered the back after coloring or not.

cheers, dee

Joe Hillmann
03-19-2012, 2:55 PM
Dee,
I haven't even seen how it turns out with a sharpie yet. The I did a scrap piece for my customer to test on and he told me that a sharpie looks pretty good.

Dee Gallo
03-19-2012, 5:56 PM
Another question, Joe: is that the Sharpie regular marker or the paint marker?

Dan Hintz
03-19-2012, 6:18 PM
Will this end up in the sun (even in a window)? If so, have you tested the light-fastness?

Steve Rozwood
03-22-2012, 4:26 PM
Joe,

We do sell a product for making marks on glass, here is a piece that I made for my mom on her birthday. This picture's not so great, I think I need better practice at it. She loves to draw and paint birds so, I got ahold of one her paintings, with out her knowing and laser engraved it on a piece of glass using a few of our products. The octogon window is in her staircase and it's been there for about three years now.
I'm not sure if this is something you would be interested in or not but good luck!

Steve Rozwood
03-22-2012, 4:28 PM
I meant the photo's not taken very well.

Martin Boekers
03-22-2012, 4:42 PM
Actually that looks really nice, does this stand up to washing as on a beer mug?

Steve Rozwood
03-22-2012, 5:17 PM
It should, a large sanitary ware customer uses this material for their logos and it had to stand up to like 10,000 scrub cycles on a scrubbing machine. The real key is getting the right setting.

Dee Gallo
03-22-2012, 8:03 PM
Steve,

That is a really nice piece. For one thing, your Mom's painting is wonderful! Secondly, you did a great job with the Cermark - now can you share some details?

How did you prepare the photo - was it just greyscale and press go or did you process it through Photoshop or something? Also, what is the Cermark #? I have LMC-6044P black, which I have used for ceramic tiles and it's great stuff. Is this the same thing you used for glass? And have you tried the colors on glass?

Thanks for sharing, I really like the possibilities of this.

cheers, dee

Steve Rozwood
03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks Dee! I'll let my mom know you liked it! Maybe when I visit her in Buffalo I will sanp a few pictures of it insatlled.

It was so long ago I may have to think about it for a bit. I do remember I used LMC-6044P black and the LMC-6001P bronze and yes you can use it on glass... I will have to check my art work to see if I can remember how I lasered it.

Talk to you soon

Mike Null
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Steve

Please post a link where the members can read more about this.

Mary Geitz
03-25-2012, 4:56 PM
Alcohol inks work are fabulous on glass. I use Ranger's brand. I squirt a few colors on a palate, fill either a water brush or Ranger's pen for alcohol inks with their alcohol blending solution and get to work. Their colors are so vibrant and they work on non-porous surfaces. Copic markers are another alternative and have a gazillion color choices.

Dee Gallo
03-25-2012, 6:52 PM
Interesting, Mary - do these paints evaporate really fast? I've used Copic markers and they are fabulous too.

Steve Rozwood
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Mike, that's a good idea! I didn't think there would be any interest in this subject, it was just a birthday present for my mom. I will start a thread with how I Lasered my moms painting on to the octgon glass. Dee, sorry it took so long to reply but I've been out with a cold.

Joe Hillmann
03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Mike, that's a good idea! I didn't think there would be any interest in this subject, it was just a birthday present for my mom. I will start a thread with how I Lasered my moms painting on to the octgon glass. Dee, sorry it took so long to reply but I've been out with a cold.

Of course we are interested in it, everyone here loves seeing new techniques with there lasers.

Dee Gallo
03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I look forward to seeing the thread, Steve! Hope you feel better soon - dee

Warren Eames
10-25-2012, 1:41 AM
Steve I have just started to use CerMark glass colours (Australian spelling) Black, Copper and Blue. I am not having much success. I have an 80w Co2 Laser. How critical is the ratio as I put the three colours on the same piece of glass and used the same settings on each colour. I use a brush to put it on. The Copper was the best but still not great. The Blue was just about no colour at all but it was thinner than the other two colours.
I found the Black for Metal very easy to use. The settings I have found the best so far on my machine are Speed:500(mm/sec), Power:20%, Scan Gap:.06.