PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Gum HF

Dennis Ford
03-13-2012, 12:47 PM
This sweet gum has some nice spalting (most of the log was too far gone). It is 10" dia x 6" tall. The finish is lacquer (not buffed yet). Comments and critiques are welcome.

David DeCristoforo
03-13-2012, 1:23 PM
Very sweet piece. I am not particularly fond of high gloss finishes on wood like this. I think a satin finish better shows off the amazing figure in the wood. But that is just a personal opinion and in no way detracts from this beautiful form.

John Keeton
03-13-2012, 1:29 PM
Dennis, excellent work on the form, and the wood sure has a lot going on. I like high gloss, but I agree with David on this one. You could still use some 0000 to get a satin and see what you think of it. If it doesn't suit, apply some more lacquer!

steven carter
03-13-2012, 2:17 PM
This one makes the first name of the wood very appropriate, it is sweet indeed! Lots going on with the spalting.

Roland Martin
03-13-2012, 4:43 PM
This is a great looking piece of wood, Dennis. The form is just as beautiful as the wood.

James Roberts
03-13-2012, 5:00 PM
Beautiful wood and beautiful form. I'm with John, I don't think it can hurt to try toning it down with 0000, that is if you are of a mind to experiment.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2012, 8:00 PM
Dennis that is a beautiful piece and really nice form.

Eric Holmquist
03-13-2012, 8:11 PM
Beautiful form and wood, Sweet Gum is one of my favorites.

Thomas Canfield
03-13-2012, 9:29 PM
Good looking piece Dennis. The wood does look like it would have some problems turning with the spalting and Sweet Gum can have some problems even without the spalting. I tend to also go with the other comments about less gloss, and I also like oil, but then it would darken the wood and have a different look. Hard to find fault, but the profile seems to be a little off and I'm not sure if it is the upper slope and small rise or the lower curve, but a good looking piece.

Kelvin Burton
03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Dennis,

That is beautiful! Love to wood and appreciate what went into turning it! Hollow Forms seem to reign supreme in the wood turning world. I've never really figured out why, other than the technical difficulty, since there's not a lot you can do with them afterward. I guess that's the nature of art :)

I guess I'll stick with my bowls for a while longer while I admire the creative art that the rest of you guys turn!

Ken Glass
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Dennis,
That's a Sweet Gum HF, pun intended. Great coloring and very pleasing form. Well done.

Ted Calver
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Dennis, This is a great piece. I really like the coloring and the shape flows nicely to my eye. Good job!

Baxter Smith
03-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Great looking piece of wood Dennis and a wonderful form to go with it.

Michelle Rich
03-14-2012, 6:32 AM
wow, it's stunning

Bill Bolen
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Beautiful piece Dennis. Love the form. I appreciate all the work that went into the turning and finishing. I seem to love a high gloss finish and am delighted you found a way to get a decent photo of that high gloss with a minimum of hot spots.

Harvey Ghesser
03-14-2012, 1:13 PM
Dennis, I love everything about this piece! Form and finish are awesome!

Tim Rinehart
03-14-2012, 1:40 PM
I like this piece alot Dennis. Form is great and that is some very nice spalting. I'm somewhat indifferent on this one being gloss over satin...but can see where satin would be a bit softer and pleasing. I'm starting to lean towards less glossy, in general, but it truly is personal preference. Great job! I've got loads of sweet gum in my yard, including some that are 20+ inches in diameter...but I've not turned it yet! If I get tired of stepping on the sweet gum balls..I may have some wood soon!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2012, 2:56 PM
Love the form and the wood is amazing!! Mot much more you could ask for in a hollow form! VERY nice work!

Primvs Aebvtivs
03-14-2012, 3:11 PM
I like this, like it lots! Not able / capable of hollow turning yet, so this is a new one on me. Can I ask a question (sorry to interrupt the thread) - is the coloring from the spalting process, or is all sweet gum that funky green color? It's reminiscent of camoflage in my mind...

Dennis Ford
03-14-2012, 6:45 PM
Primvs;
The color is from the spalting; this wood was very bland when cut. Sweet gum sometimes develops very pretty heartwood but usually only in older trees.

Thanks to all for the nice comments; the lacquer was barely dry when I shot these pictures, I will tone down the gloss a little once the lacquer cures.

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Beautiful piece Dennis and the wood is amazing! Great job!

robert baccus
03-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Really fine gum hollow form. unusually good spalting and shape. dennis runs into what most of us do. we mostly love flatter finish but Glossy sells. decision time! -----old forester