PDA

View Full Version : Time for new screws

Prashun Patel
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I need to replenish my stock of 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" general construction screws. I use them for everything from furniture to faceplate mounting on a lathe, to general use around the house.

I prefer a flat head, square or combo recess.

I've been using Deckmates from BORG for a couple years. But recently they've switched the recess to star and the lengths I want are only avail in a #6-7. Also, I've noticed they tend to overdrive in just about anything, stripping out the hole threads and spinning freely.

I've been also using Spax screws, but have had one or two of those snap, and the head is prone to camming out. For faceplate mounting where the screw needs to be removed and inserted a number of times, this reduces its life span.

Any specific recommendations? I'll probably go McFeely's, but which one?

Steve Meliza
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I recently got some #14 SPAX and was surprised how badly the #3 square driver bit was camming out, but none snapped. I have use a fair amount of McFeely's standard clear zinc screws and have been very happy with them, just pick any of these screws that are not SPAX: http://www.mcfeelys.com/flat-zinc-screws-c

Prashun Patel
03-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I was surprised at the Spax too. I recently made a table that requires the legs to be screwed into the stretcher. It is supposed to be a strong connection. I dropped the table and snapped the leg - and the #10 3" screw.

I've read so many positive things about them, that I am reluctant to give up on them, but I'm going to feel out McFeelys' this time. Thx for the rec.

Sean Hughto
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
McFeely's are awesome. I like the standard square drive wood screw line. I like the 14's for my face plates - I think like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 long.

Richard Wolf
03-13-2012, 4:25 PM
I really like the washer head screws. They don't sink themselves into the wood and give superior holding power. They fit into a 3/8" counter bore so a small plug will fill the hole.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/washer-head-screws

Sam Murdoch
03-13-2012, 4:42 PM
My best experience with screws these days is with construction screws by GRK or GripRite. The GRKs are torque drive and expensive but the GripRite are combo drive and quite a bit less expensive. I use the GripRite green/gray screws that are considered good for PT but they do very well for any 2 X construction and any other woodworking that I do where strength is an issue. Both the GRKs and the GripRites can be driven and redriven - I have never snapped one off or stripped out the head. I prefer the torque drives over all other type but to each his own.

Both of these screws have self drilling tips - but I often prebore anyway. They are great for hanging hinges for full size doors, but the ridges under the head require (usually) that I rebore the hardware screw hole to be deeper.

The GRK trim screws are my go to screws for lots and lots of cabinetry and/or trim applications. I always have 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" of those in my inventory.

For general plywood box construction I just use 1-1/4" to 2" screw tip screws from McFeeleys or Outwater Hardware. These I purchase by the case. I have tried the Spax but for the price I just as soon use the GRKs.

Dan Friedrichs
03-13-2012, 5:13 PM
As Sam said the GRK's are amazing. You can pick up a small pack at Rockler if you just want to try them out. I have an assortment of sizes and never use anything else, now.

Alan Lightstone
03-13-2012, 9:17 PM
I've been very happy with the McFeely's Dry Lube Steel screws. Haven't had any snap, and I like the color of them. Seem to hide better in wood, plus the dry lube seems to help with driving them.

Here's the link to one of them:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0810-FSL/8-x-1quot-Dry-Lube-Unplated-Steel-Flat-Head-Wood-Screws

Jim Becker
03-13-2012, 9:17 PM
I'm a McFeeley's fan, Prashun. I use the #8 square drive screws in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" in yellow zinc finish as my "standard" go-to screws for many things and the #7 SS trim-head screws for carcass construction with 1/2" veneer sheet stock.

Prashun Patel
03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Mcfeelys it is! Thanks everyone and Jim!

Rick Lizek
03-14-2012, 5:16 AM
Look at Deerwod and Swan Secure as well. Used to buy a lot of Mcfeelys but the Deerwood were 1/3 less and just as good in quality. The Spax were too soft.

Dave Lewis
03-14-2012, 9:32 PM
I also use GRK screws in 6-8 sizes. 2 local lumberyards carry GRK.

Be sure to get their color-coded driver bits; I've found that these are NOT generic between brands.

Dave Lehnert
03-14-2012, 11:26 PM
I like the Rockler "Sq. X" screws. I get them when they have their Buy one get one stock up sale.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2205&site=ROCKLER

Dan Rude
03-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I too used the Borg ones with the square drive. Around here Menards has the deck screws with a choice of Combo or Star drive. I perfer these because I can get the longer Impact bits in square but not in star.

Dan

Rod Sheridan
03-15-2012, 9:11 AM
Hi Prashun, I recently purchased a box of "Square Drive" screws at Home Depot in Canada, and found that they had a cam-out problem.

As a Canadian I was really surprised because we've been using Robertson screws for over a century without issue.

That turned out to be the issue, Robertson screws and drivers have a slight taper that makes them fit very tightly, in fact I've stuck screws on the end of the screwdriver and then had to wrestle to get them off.

The "Square Drive" screws aren't Robertson, they have no taper and don't fit properly, and they seem to be an American screw pattern probably developed to avoid patent issues with Robertson.

If you can, buy some real Robertson bits and screws, you'll be amazed at the difference..............Rod.

Steve Meliza
03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
That turned out to be the issue, Robertson screws and drivers have a slight taper that makes them fit very tightly, in fact I've stuck screws on the end of the screwdriver and then had to wrestle to get them off. That has been my experience with the standard non-SPAX screw offerings from McFeely's.