PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on a slick, hard material...

Tom Hammond
03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I built this table soccer game based on a design from WeyKick. The men are magnetized, and there is a corresponding piece under the board that the players use to move the men around and strike the ball. The bottom of the men and the top of the piece underneath have felt so that they'll slide on the 1/8" hardboard surface. I experimented with the depth and number of strong magnets on both pieces until I was able to find a balance on holding the men in place while not making it too hard to move the men.

But, I'd like to reduce the drag on the men, if possible. If you have any ideas on an improvement of the board material (it really can't be any thicker because of the magnets) or the felt used, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Formica is slick and hard, readily available, and easily worked. UHMW is slicker, but is more expensive, not as easy to source, and not easy to fasten down.

Dan Hintz
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I would consider a thin slice of UHMW on the figures, and possibly a coat of wax on the table. They should move slicker-'n-snot...

Bob Lloyd
03-13-2012, 2:50 PM
Boy, that takes me back - magnetic football! Had one of those when I was a kid. Being from England, lots of us had these and Subbuteo. The one I had was smooth on both sides. The magnets, on plastic sticks, slid directly on the smooth underside. The men, with magnets in direct contact with the top, did the same. The problem, was not moving the men but keeping the pitch, or field as you call it, from moving around. Of course, sometimes we would do it to stop the other player from scoring! Yours looks a lot more sturdy. Have fun.

Joe A Faulkner
03-21-2012, 8:02 PM
I would consider a thin slice of UHMW on the figures, and possibly a coat of wax on the table. They should move slicker-'n-snot...
+1 on waxing the table