PDA

View Full Version : BMW Motorbikes

Leigh Betsch
03-13-2012, 8:11 AM
Anyone else ride a BMW? I'm heading south tomorrow morning on my K1600 GTL. I'm gonna go 2 1/2 days south then turn around and come home. Nothing particular in mind just find some sun no rain and a few nice roads. Maybe Missouri, maybe Kansas, maybe Nebraska or Iowa or Oklahoma. I don't know where, and I don't really care. Gonna be hard to focus at work today.....

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2012, 9:04 AM
Well, you know I do, 1976 R90/6 with 195,000 miles on it.

My wife has a 1977 R60/7 with about 250,000 on it, and last summer she bought a 2011 F650GS (it only has about 3,00Km on it).

I'll be thinking of you, with envy......................Rod.

John Shuk
03-13-2012, 9:18 AM
Enjoy the time. One the most precious things we've got.

Leigh Betsch
03-13-2012, 11:00 AM
My son-in-law has a GS650 he is storing at my place. I really like the bike, gotta get my own some day. Very fun bike to bat around the gravel roads on. much better that the 10,000 lb touring bikes for that type of work.

Jim Matthews
03-13-2012, 1:45 PM
When I rode, BK (Before Kids) I traveled light.

1977 R100/s with a rear frame entirely stabilized by bailing wire (to dampen vibration at 70mph).
Whatever cash I could fit into my front vest pocket. When I stopped for gas, I had to do the math on when to turn around.

That was back when the distance between gas stations made the difference - not the price of gas.
I remember coming into Livingston from the East, and being unable to make it up the grade - the head wind was so strong.

I've never covered miles so well, since.

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2012, 6:40 PM
I have a simular plan as soon as it warms up. I'm going to go like hell West for three days, and take four coming back.

I miss my 1200GT. Had a couple of boxers befor that, but the K's are just nicer. At the moment I have an old Honda Silverwing with only 14k on the clock, and it will have to do. Next real bike will be a GS, not sure what size yet. But I have to get my house done first.

I love doing what you are doing. Its my favorite, well I take that back, its the only way I travel.

I'll tell you where I am going when I get back.........

Have fun Leigh, I'll be thinking of you.

Larry

Shawn Pixley
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Used to own a '59 R60 with dual bicycle seats. Great bike. Now I live in SoCal and it is not the safest place to ride. Have fun!

Leigh Betsch
03-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Just checked the weather map. Should be good traveling south to Missouri for a couple of days. Then west if the clouds start to roll in. Still considering southern WI but it looks like if we get rain it will come from the south east so If I'm in Missouri I can out run it to the west then circle north and home to SD.
This is the first big trip on the Beamer so it will be test of its all day comfort. I know I could make Arkansas on my Wing in 2 days easy, don't know if the Beamer will have enough comfort to do that. But it is a whole lot funner to ride!
I love the GTL but I think if I didn't ride 2 up with SWMBO all the time I'd have a 1200GS. The GTL is gonna land me in jail some time for excessive speed. Pretty easy to break 100 in 3rd gear, with 3 more gears to go! I sold my Triumph because it was too much fun, now the Beemer puts me right back into the same zone. I gotta grow up some day.

Michael O'Neill
03-14-2012, 4:00 AM
It was 81 degrees here in KCMO today ... It should be in the 70's
for the rest of the week... Spring has sprung!!! At least for a little while.....

Michael

Larry Edgerton
03-14-2012, 7:07 AM
I love the GTL but I think if I didn't ride 2 up with SWMBO all the time I'd have a 1200GS. The GTL is gonna land me in jail some time for excessive speed. Pretty easy to break 100 in 3rd gear, with 3 more gears to go! I sold my Triumph because it was too much fun, now the Beemer puts me right back into the same zone. I gotta grow up some day.

I had a Concours before the GT, and it was plenty fast, but in a different way. Shortly after I got the GT I pulled out to pass, and the line was about 5-6 cars long so I nailed it. I knew I was rolling, but I was shocked when I pulled in and glanced at the speedo. I was just shy of 160, something the Connie wouldn't do, and it was so smooth that you just had no idea. I had to get in the habit of watching the tach with that bike because you could not feel what it was doing, not in the bars, seat or pegs. I ride with ear plugs so I couldn't hear it either.

I've read that the bike you have pulls even better than mine, so ya, you could get in trouble.

Right now you are probably saddleing up, and I am envious. Gotta get to work......

Oh, that growing up thing, I always figured it was overrated.

Larry

Chris Walls
03-14-2012, 9:33 PM
Leigh
Wow , a new 1600. A very nice bike. I've not yet ridden one. I'll have to make do with my R 1150 GS. I've had this bike a couple of years now and it is a great deal of fun. We still have snow on the ground, although it's fading fast. Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

Chris

Joel Goodman
03-14-2012, 9:55 PM
I've got an F650GS (800 twin). Great bike!

Leigh Betsch
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
In Eureka Springs AT tonight. Fantastic riding... spent the.afternoon in Bentanville AR today buying new tires. 4500 miles and worn out. Had to ride 130 miles on cords too get to the dealer to get new skins. Dealer said bike has too much torque for the rubber. Gotta love this bike

Rich Stewart
03-17-2012, 1:12 AM
Great movie for those who can't find time to make a trip. It's called Long Way Round. Two guys ride a couple BMW's around the world. They liked that trip so much, they did another from top of Africa to bottom. Called Long Way Down.
I enjoyed both very much.

Leigh Betsch
03-19-2012, 7:34 PM
2000 miles and set of new tires later, we are back home. Great riding in the Ozarks if anyone gets the urge. If anyone in in the market for a new machine I gotta say this new BMW is the greatest bike I've ever had. It might not be for everyone but it handles the interstates and wind as well as my '07 Wing and it is incredible in the twisties. If you like going long distances and get a bit crazy on twisty roads, (not to mention a bit of high speed driving), this could be the machine for you. It's my dream bike.

Graham Wintersgill
03-20-2012, 3:08 PM
Sounds like fun. I used to have a K1200LT and I really enjoyed it. LT dot com is a great source of information.

Regards

Van Huskey
03-21-2012, 1:58 AM
Sounds like a GREAT time!

Randy Rose
03-21-2012, 6:36 AM
Congrats on a great spring trip. I have "another" brand but love anything with 2 wheels.

Mike Wilkins
03-21-2012, 4:25 PM
Interesting to know that Jay Leno has a K1600 also. Nice to know that with all the very interesting, rare, and unusual bikes that he owns, he got one of these and loves it.
Mike-missing the riding experience after 15 years.

Mac McQuinn
03-21-2012, 4:32 PM
I'm a bit surprised Jay went for the K1600, he seems more of a Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado type of guy.
Mac

Interesting to know that Jay Leno has a K1600 also. Nice to know that with all the very interesting, rare, and unusual bikes that he owns, he got one of these and loves it.
Mike-missing the riding experience after 15 years.

Leigh Betsch
03-21-2012, 11:23 PM
I know Leno did the US press release intro for the bike in his garage. I didn't know that he had one too. But he probably has one of everything, I would if I had his money.

Marty Gulseth
03-25-2012, 1:03 PM
Wow! Lot more BMW riders here than I expected. I have two:
'79 R65 - my running rolling project bike
'08 R12RT - my "new scoot"

These are just two of many "Adult ADD" distractions that compete with my sawdust-making. Along with a day job (albeit a good one.)

Jerry Thompson
03-25-2012, 9:04 PM
Do you know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

keep scrolling down

The Hover has the Dirt Bag on the inside.

Greg R Bradley
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I have 2 or 3 or maybe 4 depending on what you call a BMW.

1. R1200RT

2. R1100 Boxer Cup - not street legal track bike

3. G650 X-Moto - sold by BMW but really a mellowed Aprilia Super Moto with the 650 Rotax single.

1996 R1100RT and 2002 KTM 640 Enduro for sale.......

I have no idea what anyone needs with that power - this is what you can do to a tire with the R1200RT, a slow touring bike:

Ed Aumiller
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Have 1975 R75 that I restored 3 years ago...
1992 R100 RT
1976 R90

Love the boxers....

Ed