PDA

View Full Version : Question : Inspirations ???

Dick Mahany
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I have been lurking on this form for several years and posting occasionally. I am truly humbled by the incredible works that you have collectively produced. So now my question......Where do you find your inspirations and unique design ideas ? I am able to replicate to a reasonable degree things that I have seen, but I just don't seem to have the creative genious to create that so many of you have ! Is it something that you find natural, or is it something learned ? I'm hoping for the latter, as there may be hope yet.

Best regards,

Cheryl A. Prince
03-13-2012, 5:54 AM
[... I just don't seem to have the creative genious to create that so many of you have ! QUOTE]

Greetings Dick! The good news is that inspiration can be found in whatever you enjoy looking at. For some it's lurking here and being amazed by the work of others. For others it lies in studing various natural forms and textures (pods seem to be real popular right now!) I included the above portion of your quote because I first really began to feel my creative energy flow when I quit labeling myself as an unimaginative, uncreative person. We are our own worst enemy sometimes with how we view our own abilities. I decided to just start doing and making things regardless of whether anyone thought they were good or not. I gave myself permission to experiment with the techniques others were using and see which fit my personality and which just felt right. Slowly my own voice started opening up and I could begin to express my own energy and intent. We are all "creative" but most of us aren't willing to work on our skills long enough to find our own style and voice. Keep making pieces and combining the shapes, techniques, textures and colors that move you! You'll be amazed how quickly things start manifesting when you get out of your imaginations way! Good luck!

John Keeton
03-13-2012, 6:08 AM
Dick, I think inspiration comes to folks in a variety of ways, and I agree with much of what Cheryl says. As a relatively new turner, I found that I was spending most of my "inspiration" time viewing the works of others on this and other forums. I decided to "ban" myself from other sites, no longer view the work of others, and simply spend time with a sketch pad and some quiet moments. It seems to work for me, but may not for others.

Some folks seem to have a very creative mind - John Beaver with his wave, Alan Trout with his resin castings and acorn cap pieces, and others that do pyro work and piercings. It seems they have a need to reach beyond the wood for other mixed media. I love that quality, but for me, that is the most difficult part - getting beyond the wood.

Cheryl probably said it best - just "permit" yourself to unleash!

Dennis Ford
03-13-2012, 7:44 AM
Most of the time, I use the wood for inspiration to decide between; bowl, hollow form, etc. The less typical things require "getting beyond the wood" as John said, this is not easy. One thing that has worked for me; viewing other people's work and figuring out a way to make it, then thinking about what else can be done with the same technique. It is difficult for me to work out a design without thinking about the "how" so this gets me outside the box sometimes.

Michael E. Thompson
03-13-2012, 8:17 AM
Dick,

My inspiration comes from a lot of places. Mostly viewing other work on forums like this. I also look at pottery. Pottery has been around for ever, they got it figured out if you ask me. Also, being a design engineer, I do a lot of sketching and visualization. I find myself with a piece of wood on the lathe and in my mind's eye, see what it will be when finished. I will even draw a shape on the wood. More times than not, I change as I go. Don't lock yourself into your design idea, go with what looks good and feels right. If you end up turning a log into a tooth pick, well then, you have had a lot of fun learning.

HTH
Mike

Bob Rotche
03-13-2012, 9:34 AM
I think Cheryl really nailed it with her response. I think we are often our own worst enemies when it comes to creativity. You have to get rid of the fear of making a mistake or not pleasing the masses. As far as inspiration, its all around us. I am constantly inspired by the work of people on this site and others. I am inspired by a walk in the woods and trying to take the time to open my eyes and see what is actually right in front of my face. I am inspired by architecture and artisans from all eras of the past. At the moment, I am inspired by Asian design and architecture. My biggest problem lately is flight of ideas and lack of time to play with them. I think "play" is the right word when it comes to creativity. One has to find an inspiration from what ever source and then play with it without fear of making a mistake or doing something "wrong". Once you eliminate the fear and start to feel the freedom, everything else will follow. I'm not saying you won't make your share of firewood but that is part of the process and you have to have the freedom to fail because even in a "failure" there will likely be some element that you will be happy with and will incorporate in the next piece.

Scott Hackler
03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I get inspiration from a variety of places. I am on just about every turning site, on a regular basis, just "looking". Like the vast majority of turners, I turn my version of something I have seen before... .for the standard shapes and forms. I might borrow elements I like from several thing, refine them and alter them to both my taste and ability.

On the non-standard stuff, I find inspiration in nature. Expecially with the flowing curves of dripping or running water. A great amount of the "weird" stuff I come up with are fully designed on the lathe. For these pieces I just start turning and let the shapes evolve into something. Something it works very well, sometimes it's so-so and sometimes it's junk. But even the junk allows for experimentation in shape and techniques and even textures. Don't be afraid of failure or screwing up a piece, as your practicing. I have tossed more pieces into the burn pile, than I care to admit. Sometimes the "wild" idea just doesn't work.

I think that a great thing that I have done, was to turn...turn...turn..turn. The more time I have spent actually on the lathe, the more my skills progressed and allowed for me to make in real life, that picture in my mind.

I recently started a sketch book after the hand surgery and that is a good idea, but when I am not at home I will see something that makes me imagine a possible turning project and so I jot it down on a piece of paper or napkin or my hand until I get home!!!

Lee Koepke
03-13-2012, 1:17 PM
I almost hesitate to reply here ... I am still new at this vortex, and dont consider anything I have done yet to be 'inspiring' .... but my heart is in it! I endeavor to produce the level of expertise I see here, all I do is try to turn and finish each piece better than the last one!

I dont sketch very well, I am a very linear thinker, so to transition into 'forms' is quite a step for me. I tend to visualize what I turn, while I am turning it. It, like Scott just said, sometimes just didnt finish like I envisioned. I put it on a shelf in my shop to collect dust until the fire-pit needs fuel and start again.

Robert Henrickson
03-13-2012, 1:56 PM
Inspiration comes from various sources. Even if I have an idea as to what I would like to make when I start, if something interesting (grain, or whatever) turns up along the way, then I will see what I can do to take advantage of what has appeared. Turning sites are another source, as are books and magazines. When everything else fails, I fall back on my career as a ceramic archaeologist. I've worked in Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Crete, and handled material from Syria. The various assemblages date from before 5000 BC down through the early Roman era. 5000 years across a fair bit of the Near East provides a bunch of possibilities.

Jamie Donaldson
03-13-2012, 3:33 PM
I was fortunate to grow up in an environment of design appreciation because my Dad and Grandfather were architects, so I took some design and art courses in college as well. When I began turning 25 yrs. ago I started a design notebook, filled with cut-outs from magazines and other sources, of any forms that I thought interesting. I also made studies of oriental pottery, ceramics, glassware, and since my wife was an anthropologist I included Native American pottery. I still consult that notebook when I sometimes develop "turners block," and suggest that every turner should develop such a resource. As a photographer I am tuned to observation of any possible subject matter that might apply to my other interests, and an image can easily reinforce my aging memory.

Dick Mahany
03-13-2012, 8:47 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question, as there is some solid encouragement for me there. I have often seen a form that I really like, be it a hollow form, a finial, a turned box, bowl or platter. I can see these things in my head, but getting them to take a proper shape, or come together on the lathe has often resulted in something completly different and unintended. I'm challenged to draw a straight line using a ruler for a guide, and sketching curves seems impossible. I value the advice to get beyond the thinking that limits my creativity by labeling myself as uncreative as it is so true. Equally, the advice to permit my self to explore, practice, play , turn, turn, turn and develop a collection of forms that I find interesting make total sense. I think I need to sharpen my focus, and get WAY more turning time.

What is really encouraging is that no one seems to think their ideas simply come to them naturally, and as I had hoped, it seems there is still the chance to get to levels that have so far been elusive !! Maybe I should immerse myself in San Jose this June at the AAW conference and see if the creativity is contagious.

Thanks again,

Alan Trout
03-13-2012, 9:23 PM
Dick,

It just takes a little time. There are some that it comes easier to, but it all can be learned. We have all made dogs and it is a valuable learning experience whether perfect or not.

For me I had a high school art teacher that was a big influence on me and her other students. She taught us the basics but also encouraged us to explore with different techniques and media. She made it fun and that is what this is all about. Most ideas are not 100% original, there were building blocks along the way that allows us to get where we are with our designs.

The keys are practice, educate, have fun and don't quite. Everything else comes with time.

Alan

Steve Vaughan
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
What they said...and reading this forum is certainly inspiration enough! At least enough to keep one very, very busy!