PDA

View Full Version : Gramercy Tools and TFWW - well done!

Peter Pedisich
03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Last summer I purchased a Gramercy 12" Carcase saw, and although it was extremely smooth cutting, in fact every bit as smooth as my Shinwa 19tpi pull saw, it would consistently wander to the right during a cut, just enough to be an issue. I loved the saw - great balance of plate depth to length and lightweight back - and it just give lots of feedback. A pleasure to use for finer work.

I finally got around to contact Gramercy, and they promptly arranged for a return label postage paid. They examined, re-sharpened and re-set the saw, and the results exceeded my expectations. The way they handled this issue was professional from start to finish.
Tonight I tried a few test cuts and the character has changed ever so slightly... it seems more aggressive without any compromise to cut quality, tracks straight as can be, and requires just the tiniest bit more attention to start the cut. In other words, perfect for me.

We really are lucky to have toolmakers like this, I picked the right time to switch to hand tools!:D

-Pete

Niels Cosman
03-13-2012, 2:17 AM
They are most excellent saws!

Chris Griggs
03-13-2012, 6:30 AM
Congrats!

They are indeed a wonderful company. Joel's service is 2nd to none!

Tony Shea
03-13-2012, 5:24 PM
Man, their tote is very nice. I love the little filing detail just in front of the top horn. Not sure if that's actually how it's made but either way is very appealling. The overall shape is real nice. Is the first I've seen such a up close pic of their tote.

Joel Moskowitz
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Tony,
Yes - that's how they are made. Years ago when we were first designing the handles (which are made via CNC) we thought that the traditional lines were too mechanical looking for our tastes. Even tight turns, since they were not done with a saw, had a tiny radius in them. We wanted to capture the original hand made elegante look of a great Victorian Handle (which disappears mid 19th century).

I remember standing with Tim near one of our workbenches discussing various options, all expensive, none great, and then remembering a common detail that was filed in on lots of English iron (infill) planes. The corners were extended with a triangular file to accentuate the detail. Anyway, silently, I broke off the conversation, walked a foot over to a filing bench, picked up a saw file, and made the notches i three seconds. Tim liked it right away, it achieved exactly the effect we were looking for, and it's easy to do. Over the years the decorative notches have been refined and are not more elegant but that's the story.

Mike Holbrook
03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
I am also a fan Peter. I bought the Sash & Dovetail saws and could not be happier with them. I have been studying the Carcase saw too.

I talked to one of the people who works there right after I bought my saws and it turns out he sharpens saws there. He was eager to hear about how I liked the uniquely filed Sash saw and how it was working for me. It is rare to find that sort of enthusiasm for customer feedback. It is great to have a hand tool company with that kind of devotion to how their tools perform.