PDA

View Full Version : Oneida 1.5 Cyclone: Opinions?

Steve Aiken
03-24-2005, 2:08 PM
First post here. I've been on the rec.woodworking forum for a year or so, but getting really tired of the shenanigans over there. Just discovered this forum and it looks like a much better quality of posts. Looking forward to getting to know you.

After 4 years in this house, I'm finally renovating my basement workshop. I have all my tools portable, so I'm going to have 4 ceiling drops from which I can connect up any tool in each of the 4 workstation locations.

I am planning to purchase the Oneida 1.5 cyclone dust collector.

Has anyone had a *bad* experience with this cyclone or with the Oneida company's customer service?

Steve

Frank Pellow
03-24-2005, 2:14 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek, Steve.

Since, like me, you are in Ontario, I assume that you will be getting your Oneida system at the same place that I got mine, that Is Welbeck Sawmill near Durham Ontario. They are the local distributor for Oneida. I got top rate advise and service through Welbeck, so I am sure that you will be happy.

I also have 4 ceiling drops (with the potential for a fifth in the future) and I had decided to purchase the 1.5 hp cyclone but, in the end I opted for the 2hp commercial unit and I am very happy with it.

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 2:54 PM
I have owned both the 1.5hp "component" Oneida and the 2hp "commercial" Oneida. Both systems worked/work as advertised and my satisfaction is complete. The current version of the 1.5hp is a newer design than the one that I previously used (it's sill in use in a friend's shop) and has a little better performance because of it. Do avoid the internal filter, however. You will have about a 10-20% increase in performance with the external filters and it will be easier and faster to clean. Do consider the slightly better performing 2hp system, either the affordable "component" unit or the more expensive, but "kick butt" "commercial" unit that Frank and I both use. You can never have too much air flow available... ;)

BTW, the company is outstanding.

Bryan Nuss
03-24-2005, 3:24 PM
Steve,

I also bought a 1.5 hp Oneida from Welbeck Sawmill and have been very, very happy with it. I have had it about a year now and have never had any problems. I have the external filter and 20 gal drum, and have 6" main S&D PVC ducting with a 4" and 6" x 10 ft. flex hoses to my equipment. Oneida has a built-in silencer located inside the external filter. I have never yet had a need to call on Welbeck's Service Department. Their sales people were very good to deal with, and were quite helpful.

The machine, drum and flex hose arrived extremely well packed. I still use the foam sheets as "kneelers".

I run mine right in my shop/garage bare a*s (no closet or enclosure) and find the noise level quite bearable. I have the support brackets lag-bolted to two 2 x 6's which in turn are lag-bolted to the wall studs. No rubber isolators, no chains, nothing special. The vibration is not noticeable in the bedroom above the shop and the noise level heard from inside the house is quite low.

Since I run only one machine at a time (max 6" duct), the 1.5 hp more than suffices.

Don't forget to include for a 4" floor-sweep.

Steve Swinton
03-24-2005, 5:40 PM
Steve,
Only have good things to say about Oneida service and the 1.5hp cyclone. Oneida designed the system for me based on my machine layout and they did a great job. The system works great (I'm in a 22x32 shop).
Good luck,
Steve

Ted Shrader
03-24-2005, 6:09 PM
Hi Steve -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out.

I have my eye on the Oneida 2HP commercial. Have heard nothing but good things about the company. A friend got the 1½HP a couple years ago and finally got it installed (after a move and new shop construction). He was not satisfied with the 1½HP performance and upgraded to a 2HP. The 1½ was the old style with the internal filter. It just didn't suck enough - even with Oneida designed duct system installed. (Remember, he bought it for a previous install and didn't get installed done until after a move and the new shop construction.) So what size is the shop and how long will your pipe runs be? Might want to consider a larger one depending on your situation.

Welcome,
Ted

Steven Wilson
03-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Save yourself the hassle and design your DC piping network first, then purchase a cyclone sized for the need. A 1.5 may suffice, it might not. BTW, Oneida will do the design for you and work with you on purchasing the cyclone that fits your need.