PDA

View Full Version : band saw upgrade

Mike Hedges
03-24-2005, 2:06 PM
What would you do? I have a Delta Rockwell 14in band saw, bought new 25 years ago . Question do I spend $200.00 + to put new rubber wheels , new carter guides, spring , long adjustment knob. Saw work fine. Or sell and buy a new mm16 of Lugana 16. Don't do much resawing but would like to start doing more . Not real sure I need the bigger saw --just got an itch ..

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 2:59 PM
Different really options there, Mike! Your present machine is a classic, well made saw. In fact, I'd go so far as to say keep it if you have the room, even if you buy the larger Euro machine as a 14" band saw is very convenient to use for scrolling due to it's natural friendlyness to narrow blades with the crowned tires and the higher table position. (I would have done that when I bought my MM16 except I had a space problem) To be clear, saws like the MM16 and Laguna 16HD will work fine with narrow blades as long as you have the right guides on them. (Cool Blocks in my case for the MM16 for the skinny ones and the Euro guides for blades wider than 1/4")

Steven Wilson
03-24-2005, 4:39 PM
If you only have room for one then upgrade to a MM16 or something similar, otherwise keep the Delta and pick up a second bandsaw.

Richard Wolf
03-24-2005, 5:55 PM
Same here, keep your band saw for scroll work and buy a big band saw for heavy work. I purchased a MM 20 a few months ago and kept my Detla 14 and now use both. Every one should have two band saws,if you have the room!!

Richard

Jeff Sudmeier
03-25-2005, 8:24 AM
One more vote for keeping both! It would be REAL handy to have one set up for resawing and the other set up for other tasks.