PDA

View Full Version : Am I Too Late For Pocket Holes?

Eric Jacobson
03-12-2012, 7:24 PM
How can I create pocket holes with my Kreg jig when it's too late to use the clamp?

Building an alcove cabinet carcase and I forgot to drill my pocket holes in the sides. The plywood sides are in place, attached to the wall. Picture a board attached to the wall on it's face. I see the front edge of the plywood and I can see the face opposite the wall. But I can't get the clamp for my Kreg jig around the plywood because the wall is in the way. I would like to use pocket holes to attach the face frame.

Ideas?

Eric Jacobson
03-12-2012, 7:28 PM
I was wondering if Kreg had a jig for this or if I could just screw my current jig down to the plywood face I can see.

J.R. Rutter
03-12-2012, 7:31 PM
I could just screw my current jig down to the plywood face I can see.

That's what I was going to suggest - as long as you can cover up all of the holes later on.

Rich Engelhardt
03-12-2012, 7:38 PM
I've used mine a couple times w/out the clamp just by pushing it down and towards the drill holes.
Once the drill bit gets started in the wood, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to hold the jig in place.

Tack some scraps up on a wall in the basement or garage or something and make a couple practice runs.

Eric Jacobson
03-12-2012, 7:43 PM
I don't care about the holes. There will be drawers covering them up. Hmmm. Seems promising.

Eric Jacobson
03-12-2012, 7:44 PM
That would be quite a bit of hand pressure, but sure, I'll try it on some scraps. Thanks

Carl Beckett
03-12-2012, 7:45 PM
I've used mine a couple times w/out the clamp just by pushing it down and towards the drill holes.
Once the drill bit gets started in the wood, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to hold the jig in place.

Tack some scraps up on a wall in the basement or garage or something and make a couple practice runs.

Same here

Or wedge something across to the other side of the cabinet. Once started, doesn't take much to hold it in place

Adam Shapiro
03-12-2012, 9:33 PM
On mine, the drill guide slides out of the clamp and there is a center hole you can use to screw the guide onto the plywood. It'll leave a hole, but its on the same face as the pocket holes anyhow.

Tom Ewell
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Hand holding is a bit tough with the 3/8" size but with the micro pocketer, it's fairly easy.
Screwing down the jig works, quite often need to do this when clamping is not possible.