PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a broken bandsaw tension crank.

Steve Emmons
03-12-2012, 4:27 PM
I had some issues with my 14" Delta Bandsaw Tension Crank. It was getting hard to turn and eventually just froze up. I put together a video of my repair in case you have the same issue. Even if you don't have this problem, it shows you how to upgrade your tension spring and put on an awesome chrome crank from Highland Woodworking. Super upgrade even if it's not broken.

Steve

http://www.thedustydeveloper.com/2012/02/repairing-bandsaw-tension-crank.html

Thomas Hotchkin
03-12-2012, 5:29 PM
Steve
Add some high temp thread lube to your band saw tension crank threads. Well help with keeping things freed up. Tom

Steve Emmons
03-12-2012, 8:05 PM
okay I'll try that. The new crank has acme threads instead of regular ones so it shouldn't be much of a problem this time.

Thanks

Steve

Dave Ray
03-12-2012, 9:03 PM
Steve, very informative flick. Thank you

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2012, 7:39 PM
Hey, there are some very cool old cranks on Ebay that I found when looking for a jointer. You can always addapt. I have an old Delta 14, and that stock knob sucks anyway. Failure is an opportunity for improvement.....

Larry

Alan Schaffter
03-13-2012, 8:57 PM
Here is another approach.

I never liked the crank tension knob. My saw was only a few years old, but when Delta came out with a new model that included a quick release lever, decided I wanted one.

Other than buying a new saw, I thought the only way to add quick release tension lever was to buy a Carter kit which listed for over $130. It now sells for $160!

Luckily, another woodworker discovered the only difference between the new Delta bandsaw with quick release tension lever and the older one was a slightly different upper frame and a few small parts- all of which cost less than $60 ($80 including shipping on the heavy casting!) A quick call to Delta confirmed his analysis. So, for less than the cost of an after-market tension device, I had a factory bandsaw with factory quick release lever.