PDA

View Full Version : Miter station workpiece support table, issue with AC unit vibration?

Ryan Brucks
03-12-2012, 4:06 PM
Hello,

I recently built a cabinet that will act as a fence extension for my miter saw. It's a pretty simple box that has an open back, but uses 3" tall strips on the top back to give somewhere to screw to the wall, which provides the strength. Was going to give it a nice fence with a kreg stop etc....

Now I recently got a small window AC/heat unit installed in the wall very near this miter station.

When the unit is running, I can feel some vibration on the cabinet. If I set a paper on the cabinet, I can see the edges vibrate. A cup of water has little ripplies.

Now this has be a bit concerned, since I am using adjustable levelling feet on the table. I am concerned it will make it difficult to keep my miter saw and extension tables (in my case, cabinets), level over time. I am also worried that the vibration could weaken the melamine/pocket screw construction cabinet.

I am thinking I should not screw this miter extension to the wall... instead maybe remove the 3" backer and instead put a full sheet back to keep the unit square, and try to place away from the wall (maybe put some insulation foam, the thin blue stuff?)...

just wanted to see if anyone else would be considering doing the same thing or if I am way over thinking a little vibration issue.