PDA

View Full Version : "Veneering" a work bench...

Harold Burrell
03-12-2012, 3:00 PM
I am building a workbench. I would LOVE to make the top out of something like solid maple, but...I can't afford it. So, I am making the top out of MDF. :eek:

My question is...what if I were to at least add a "veneer" of maple to it? Say...up to 1/2" thick. Would that be advisable? Would wood movement allow me to glue it?

Jim Foster
03-12-2012, 3:15 PM
If you can plane the wood and have not bought the MDF yet. PA has SYP construction lumber at the big box stores. 5 pcs of 2x12x16 lumber should be $120 and can make a great top. If your building a Roubo style bench. Can't be too much more than a couple sheets of MDF.

What type of bench are you planning.

ian maybury
03-12-2012, 3:22 PM
Reports suggest that 1/2 in veneer, especially over a non moving base is very likely to split...

ian

Harold Burrell
03-12-2012, 3:25 PM
Actually, I already have most of my top done. 2 1/2" of mdf. I'm wanting the bench to have at least one traditional front vise (I think that's what it is called). And maybe an end vise. I want to drill it for bench dogs as well.

I will, at the very least, edge it with maple (At least, that is the plan).

The bench will be used for hand-planing/assembly/outfeeding/whatever. ;)

Jim Matthews
03-12-2012, 5:44 PM
It may sound flip, but do you have a flooring supply nearby? If they have some unfinished stuff, it should be about the right thickness.
You would need to trim out the periphery in hardwood, but the flooring stuff may do the trick.

If it was me, I would just treat the MDF top with a brush coat of shellac.

Harold Burrell
03-12-2012, 6:03 PM
If it was me, I would just treat the MDF top with a brush coat of shellac.

That was/is actually my plan. I am mostly concerned about how well the mdf will stand up to bench dogs.

George Gyulatyan
03-12-2012, 7:00 PM
You might find this thread useful.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154728-Using-dogs-with-an-MDF-bench-top

Harold Burrell
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
You might find this thread useful.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154728-Using-dogs-with-an-MDF-bench-top

Useful indeed! Thanks!

Frank Martin
03-13-2012, 1:28 AM
I made my bench top from 3-4 layers of plywood covered with hardboard. I used copper pipe sections as inserts for dog holes. No issues in the last 8 years I have been using it. Although not heavy use...