PDA

View Full Version : Donor Bricks and Pavers...

John Stephens
03-12-2012, 1:18 PM
Friends,

I am seeking help on product suggestions and source information
on outdoor permanent bricks, pavers or anything else of a permanent
outdoor nature for engraving.

I'm familiar with bricks in the ground like in a path but I haven't had
much success engraving bricks and getting the depth necessary to
withstand foot traffic.

My client is not locked in on bricks. She just wants something
individually engraved for each donor that will withstand the outdoors.

I have several lasers so I am not concerned about engraving time.

Thank you in advance for any item or source suggestions. I will try
to return the favor.

John

Martin Boekers
03-12-2012, 1:38 PM
Laser Sketch sells granite pavers which engrave nicely.

Joe Hillmann
03-12-2012, 3:02 PM
You say you want depth, I don't think you will get it with a co2 laser. All I have ever been able to do is bleach the color out of them where they are engraved. You could put a mask over the bricks, engrave the mask then sandblast if you want depth. Also some types of bricks can be engraved deeply into with a yag and other bricks can be turned to glass with a yag.

Michael Hunter
03-12-2012, 3:52 PM
Clay pavers, bricks and tiles* can be engraved to produce black glass lines using a CO2 laser.

My method with my 60W is to drop the tile well out of focus (10mm, 3/8"), then vector at max power and very slow.
This produces black glass lines about 1/16" wide.
I have two engraved terracotta tile sundials on the front of my house which have been there about 6 years and the black glass lines are still OK.

* Clay with sand in does not work anything like as good, so make sure it is pure clay.

Joe Hillmann
03-12-2012, 4:17 PM
I just tried Michael's suggestion, And it works beautifully. By running multipull passes you can get some depth as well

John Frazee
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I am not trying to spoil anyones parade but there actually is a patent on lasering bricks. I have done a few and not too worried. Figured I would pass this along just in case someone talks about making lots of money on a big job, the patent holder wouldn't see it.

Ross Moshinsky
03-13-2012, 1:14 PM
I am not trying to spoil anyones parade but there actually is a patent on lasering bricks. I have done a few and not too worried. Figured I would pass this along just in case someone talks about making lots of money on a big job, the patent holder wouldn't see it.

It's a meaningless patent. Means nothing. Just a scare tactic.

Craig Matheny
03-13-2012, 1:15 PM

Hey John when was the patent issued do you know as they are only good for 17 yrs and did they keep up on the fees if not it is fair game.

Ross Moshinsky
03-13-2012, 1:22 PM
I've read the patent. It's a process patent. IE: If you follow our exact steps to produce this product, you infringe on our IP. If you use a different method of lining up the brick in your laser, it's a different process and can no longer be considered an issue.

Again, it's a meaningless patent. The holder will send you a cease and desist letter. You should throw it in the trash. It means nothing.

Dan Hintz
03-13-2012, 1:49 PM
It's a meaningless patent. Means nothing. Just a scare tactic.

I've read the patent. It's a process patent. IE: If you follow our exact steps to produce this product, you infringe on our IP. If you use a different method of lining up the brick in your laser, it's a different process and can no longer be considered an issue.

Again, it's a meaningless patent. The holder will send you a cease and desist letter. You should throw it in the trash. It means nothing.

Kind of like the patent on lasering cigars... drives me up the wall the patent office allows this kind of fluff to go through.

John Stephens
03-13-2012, 6:51 PM
Thank you all for your input. I truly do appreciate it.

John