PDA

View Full Version : One Egg Omelet Anyone?

Jim Koepke
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Our goose, Gabby, has started to lay eggs.

I think I will build her a nesting box and let her hatch them. I think a roast goose will taste better than the egg.

I am not sure if I ever have eaten a goose egg. I know I have had a duck egg and didn't like it. When I was young our neighbor had geese and I remember we got one of the eggs. Not sure if my mom scrambled it or what.

jtk

jeff . whitaker
03-12-2012, 1:33 PM
Jim,
Our girl is a steady supplier.. we get one egg every two to three days.. (brown chinese geese) I am going to expand the flock to twelve this summer. We use ours as omelets with bacon, peppers and smoked chedder. It is going to be the richest and best tasting omelet youv'e ever had, or you can use them in baking.... french bakers prefer them to hens eggs, higher fat content, richer flavor.
Jeff

Ben Hatcher
03-12-2012, 4:10 PM
goose eggs? Who knew? I love all of the random things I learn on this site.

Belinda Barfield
03-12-2012, 4:47 PM
Do either of you, by chance, have a goose that lays golden eggs? I'd be willing to trade some beans for her . . .

Michael Weber
03-12-2012, 9:57 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about getting a goose for a "watch dog". Growing up I knew a person that had a couple in their back yard. You couldn't get close to their fence without them setting up a terrible racket.

anthony wall
03-13-2012, 3:06 AM
wouldn't that be a watch goose ?

Belinda Barfield
03-13-2012, 7:06 AM
Funny, I was just thinking about getting a goose for a "watch dog". Growing up I knew a person that had a couple in their back yard. You couldn't get close to their fence without them setting up a terrible racket.

Get some Watch Guineas . . . much more reliable and louder than a Watch Goose.

jeff . whitaker
03-13-2012, 7:28 AM
Our Geese are the ones who alert the dogs that some thing is going on in the back yard.. just ask the local "crack-head" who tried to break in to my work shop a couple of years ago..between them and my Staffordshire Terrier-american bulldog mix.. he left a bit of cloth and blood on the top of the chain link fence and has not been back...
*crossing fingers*

ray hampton
03-13-2012, 4:21 PM
Oh Heck , why buy something as small as a goose, buy the best buy Ostrich, guinea hens are the louder as far as making noise

Bill Cunningham
03-17-2012, 8:48 PM
I love duck and goose eggs, but turkey eggs are my favourite. The taste of the eggs is governed by what they eat. The only duck eggs I would be leary of would be muscovy duck eggs.. They are incredibly skilled at catching flies, and eat them by the thousands..

Gordon Eyre
03-17-2012, 9:40 PM
I tried a goose egg one time but could not force myself to finish it. Probably the thought more than the act.

Jim Koepke
03-18-2012, 3:39 AM
The only duck eggs I would be leary of would be muscovy duck eggs.

We had muscovys many years ago.

Did you know that they are technically not a duck?

If they are bred with a true duck, the offspring are mules and can not reproduce.

I gave two goose eggs to a neighbor who said he will bake something with them. He said they cause cakes and such to rise higher than chicken eggs.

jtk

Chuck Saunders
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Guineas make great alarms, alerting you to intruders, trouble, wind, moonlight, ghosts etc. Their main hobby tends to be getting run over.