PDA

View Full Version : Shenhui and servo motors - anyone have experience?

Tom Schulze
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I've seen that the Shenhui laser engravers have a servo based laser engraver as well as the stepper based one. Does anyone here have any experience with the servo units to know if they are worth getting instead of the stepper based units?

Thanks

Tom

Tom Schulze
03-13-2012, 1:58 PM
Lot's a views, no responses? anyone?

john banks
03-13-2012, 2:39 PM
Not seen anyone discussing it. I wondered about upgrading my x-axis to servo, but have decided against for now as the response time of the laser tube is quite well matched to the stepper motors.

Rich Harman
03-13-2012, 3:18 PM
In order for servo motors to really make sense you would need to change the mechanics of the machine to match the higher accelerations - such as the mirror holders, or more precisely, the brackets that hold the mirror holders. The laser head is also not suited to high acceleration. Too much mass and not rigid enough. The belts are just okay as is. I am replacing mine with AT5-16 steel corded poly belts because I believe I have problems resulting from belt stretch. Also, the trapezoidal toothed belts are more suited for positioning than the curvilinear HTD style that is on the machine now.

Tom Schulze
03-13-2012, 9:16 PM
thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Tom