PDA

View Full Version : Q's modifying handsaw

Paul Saffold
03-12-2012, 9:50 AM
I have an abundance of saws I've picked up at garage sales, but all full sized. I'm thinking of making a 20" panel saw from one of the full-sized saws. I see that most panal saw handles are 3 bolt. Are they also scaled down in size? What about plate thickness? Is a 20" saw thinner than saw a full sized rip? My thoughts are to pick one with the most comfortable handle and cutting down the plate.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Paul

David Weaver
03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
* Yes, the handles are smaller
* Yes, the saw plates on the good quality panel saws are thinner than the saw plates on the good quality carpenter's saws. Enough so that a panel saw that you'd make with a carpenter's saw plate will feel a bit thick and perhaps a bit stiff.

Andrae Covington
03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
I have an abundance of saws I've picked up at garage sales, but all full sized. I'm thinking of making a 20" panel saw from one of the full-sized saws. I see that most panal saw handles are 3 bolt. Are they also scaled down in size? What about plate thickness? Is a 20" saw thinner than saw a full sized rip? My thoughts are to pick one with the most comfortable handle and cutting down the plate.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Paul

The handles on the smaller panel saws are typically scaled down. A full-size handle on a cut-down saw will look a little strange; but if the larger handle fits your hand better than a small one... The sawplates are typically a little thinner for panel saws than the longer saws in the same line, say Disston #16.

A couple pics of some of my panel saws. There's a rule in the second photo that will give you an idea of handle sizes.

Kenny Eaton
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Having both full-size and panel saws, I wouldn't do it again, as I actually have one. It was a full-size saw I got in a lot I picked up on Ebay, and it had a nasty kink down towards the tip. I cut it down to panel saw size, and didn't like it at all. Like was stated above, the plate is thicker and thus feels very stiff, too stiff IMO. As well, many panel saws have a higher TPI and are made to make finer cuts. You will lose this with a shortened saw.

Mine has now been filed to an aggressive rip pattern, and though it's not used often, it is handy at times. It's not good for precise work, with such a thick plate. But when cutting larger lumber such as 2x4's and 4x4's which will be used for basic construction tasks, it works well. It was great when I built my new steps to be honest. But it's useless in the shop for fine work, as it was before it was rip filed.

Jim Matthews
03-12-2012, 1:29 PM
If the saw in question cannot be salvaged for it's intended use, why not try?

The worst that could happen is that you end up with a spare handle.
I suppose what helps me decide on a user, is it's overall balance.

My little saws don't weigh much, and I think a smaller handle is required to keep the saw in balance.

Still - why not try this out? I would think it's an opportunity to cut the thing down, and stone the back plate a little to introduce some taper.
If you can file it to more, smaller teeth you might have something to be proud of.

Or you could end up with a spare handle.

jim
wpt, ma

Mike Holbrook
03-12-2012, 9:16 PM
I believe panel saws are typically considered any saw 24" or less. Not sure how much plate you have to work with but the saw does not have to be 20" to be a panel saw. I like the 22-24" saws the best anyway. I have some written work on saws from Herman, that says there is an optimum saw length, calculated by measuring from the tip of the index finger to the tip of the shoulder, arm parallel to the ground. I measure about 23", so my preferences seem to match his suggestion. I find I can use a blade of that length without feeling like I am over extending my reach. I feel a little uncomfortable trying to use a full 26" blade, at least within my current sawing conditions. I may find a few things different when I get a real saw bench and bench hooks made.

The handles on my 19-20" saws are much smaller in both total size and thickness. I do have a saw or two that have extra thin blades for their length. I believe a saw or two may have significantly thinner blades than they originally did due to users sanding the sides down to pretty them up for sale. Certainly a large number of older saws have become narrower from repeated sharpening. Thinner blades tend to be whippier and might not suffer from having their length reduced.

Zander Kale
03-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I cut down a 26" 10 point saw into a 18" saw, it works great. The plate is just a few thou thicker than my 20" Disston D-8. I made a three finger handle for it just because it seemed to fit the saw, but it isn't all that small. The D-8 handle is a four finger handle (with my smallish hands).