PDA

View Full Version : Monkeypod box with glass cabochon

steven carter
03-12-2012, 8:52 AM
This a box made of monkeypod that I received in an exchange with Kyle Iwamoto. I was saving the wood for something special, and decided to use some of it for my new grandson, Aiden. His first middle name is Kai which is a Hawaiian name (second middle name Steven - stealth gloat!), so I thought the monkeypod very appropriate. I also included a cabochon made by my son in law. My SIL made this while being an apprentice glassmaker a couple years ago and I was saving this for something special, but didn't know how special until last July when our grandson was born. It ended up 6" tall and 3.5 wide. Finished in home brew oil and EE buffed with ren wax. The cabochon is inset in a piece of maple, which is what I sent to Kyle in exchange for the monkeypod. Thanks Kyle!

C&C Welcome, thanks for loolking!

Jim Burr
03-12-2012, 9:29 AM
Really cool Steven!! Who did you cut the diagonal lines? Heck of a size for a box!

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2012, 10:31 AM
That is nice. The cabochon really sets it off.

steven carter
03-13-2012, 8:01 AM
Really cool Steven!! Who did you cut the diagonal lines? Heck of a size for a box!

Jim,
I used the Sobry Mini Spiralling Tool. I have also used this on 14" platters and large bowls.

Here is a link http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/microtoolsystem.htm

Steve

John Keeton
03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Steve, this one has a unique flavor to it! The raised cabochon actually adds significantly to the profile, and the coloration in the glass is striking. Neat effect with the spiraling tool, as well, and I assume you cut/burned the grooves after the spiraling? Good placement on the joint, too.

Very nice work!!

steven carter
03-13-2012, 1:10 PM
Steve, this one has a unique flavor to it! The raised cabochon actually adds significantly to the profile, and the coloration in the glass is striking. Neat effect with the spiraling tool, as well, and I assume you cut/burned the grooves after the spiraling? Good placement on the joint, too.

Very nice work!!

Thanks for the comments John. I cut the grooves with to toe of the skew, then burned them, and then used the spiraling tool from line to line. It's prety easy to control the spiraling tool when the tool rest is set right. My son in law told me how he achieved the coloring in the glass, but it sounded just as foreign to me as turning sounds to him.... we each just listen and shake our heads as if we agree. I do know that he uses a gold and silver in the process, it just takes a minute amount.