PDA

View Full Version : Southwest pottery forms

Curt Fuller
03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
I really like Southwestern Native American pottery forms. Today I had a chance to see a great exhibit of some early Utah Native American styles at the new Utah Natural History Museum so I took a few pictures through the glass case. Not much of it matches the images I had in my mind for what the classic southwestern style would be. But it was all very interesting and was a good example of the diversity in these early functional art forms. Some even resemble a modern day coffee cup. Anyway, I thought some of you might like to see these pics and store it away in you head for some future influence on your turning.

Obviously most of this work was done prior to them understanding such basic principles as the rule of thirds.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2012, 12:13 AM
WOW - those are amazing! I would have spent an hour at that display with my nose pressed up against the glass! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
03-12-2012, 7:01 AM
Neat stuff, Curt!! From what little I have studied SW vessels, it seems the forms we see used most often today are "relatively" new - having evolved in the last 3-400 years, or even later. I wonder what period these works represent?

Robert Henrickson
03-12-2012, 9:14 AM
Interesting display and range of forms. Although my professional focus is archaeological ceramics, I have always worked in the Near East; there these shapes would be characteristic of 5000-3500 BC, though some recur many times.

Tim Rinehart
03-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Interesting display and range of forms. Although my professional focus is archaeological ceramics, I have always worked in the Near East; there these shapes would be characteristic of 5000-3500 BC, though some recur many times.
I can only imagine the conversations on a potter's development some 4000 years BC..."gee, nice form, but that was done 1000 years ago by our ancestors!".
Just reinforces that very little in overall shape/form is new, but how we combine elements or interpret form is what makes a piece standout. I enjoy opportunities to see stuff like this and think how it could be used in turned art forms.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2012, 10:09 AM
That is pretty cool Curt. I spent a hour or so looking at SW forms in the museum of natural history in Denver. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

charlie knighton
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
thanks Curt, forms are interesting as are the texturing/painting on the forms, thanks for sharing

Wally Dickerman
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
The Heard Museum in Phoenix, Az is the place to see the original forms of SW pottery. It's the largest collection anywhere of centuries old SW pottery. New styles were developed 100 years ago by traders seeking a ready market for selling pottery.

These old pots were all functional of course. Used for carrying water, storing grain and seeds etc. My favorite of the various tribes is the Mata Ortiz pottery. Mata Ortiz is in Northern Mexico. Some of their pottery can go for over $5000. I have one small Mata Ortiz pot. Mine is in the $200 range.

If you study the ancient pots you'll find that often the rule of thirds did apply. Even though they are functional there must have been an attempt at making them attractive. The painted designs will attest to that.

Baxter Smith
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Neat pictures Curt. Thanks for sharing.