PDA

View Full Version : Help for a beginner. Lots of questions.

Marvin Keys
03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I recently received (free from my cousin) a little Grizzly Variable Speed Mini Lathe (G9247) that I am interested in using to make some pens, but have absolutely no idea what is necessary to get myself started. All I have is the unit itself. Please bear with me because I am not to knowledgable about the lingo for these little spinny things, but there were not any attachments on the machine to cause the wood to be held in place. I think I need a chuck on one end and something else on the other in order for this thing to work, but I just don't know. My sole purpose for this tool is going to be to make the occasional pen for a gift. The questions I would like answered are as follows:

1. What do I need to get the lathe to hold the wood and get started.
2. I assume Grizzly sells the parts that I need, but is it advisable to use theirs? Who makes the best, the average, the cheap and the stay away from versions of what I need.
3. Given that I only intend to make the occasional pens, what would you recommend?
4. I know that pen kits are needed. Who are some of your favorite suppliers?

One pen I know I want to make is for the owner of the company I work for. The colors of the company are purple, black and yellow. I have some purpleheart and some ebony, but I don't know of any wood that has a bright yellow color to it. A pale yellow won't work, as it needs to be fairly vibrant.

1. Do you know of any wood that has a vibrant yellow color?
2. Would I be better off using some material other than wood to get a vibrant yellow? If so, what are reasonable options?
3. Do ebony and purpleheart turn well?

Raymond Overman
03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
First off Marvin, congratulations on the lathe. It will be the most exspensive free tool ever given to you if you end up enjoying turning as much as the rest of us.

As for vendors and getting started, I'd talk to Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silohuette. He has the mandrels, bushings, kits, and even a video on how to turn pens and is a fairly personable guy as long as he's not swamped with orders. He's always been willing to help with a problem and is prompt to be a small and very busy business.

The yellow wood you're looking for could be yellowheart or possibly osage orange.

Good luck with the pens. They're very addictive.

Thomas Wyatt
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Marvin I have ordered from Bill at Arizona Silohuette. He is very prompt with the online orders and is willing to help "when" you get him on the phone. Busy person.

In this link I have a pen turned with the Osage Orange. The one with the blue kit. I have turned a few pens with this wood. I have gotten some different shades of the yellow.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18273

Good luck with the new hobby, it will soon fill up all your free time. :eek:

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-24-2005, 1:32 PM
Hi Marvin,

Bill Baumbeck is the best for web order. For pens you dont need a chuck, just a mandrel. If you have a Woodcraft store near you they have pen making supplies and usually people are helpful there as well. After the mandrel you will need a few tools, like a roughing gouge, a small spindel gouge and possibily a skew chisel.

Pens and spinning can be pretty addictive, just so you are warned. It is also very relaxing and enjoyable.

Roger

Thomas Wyatt
03-24-2005, 2:10 PM
Being relatively new to pen turing too Marvin, here is a few suggestions.

I have a couple books on pen turning. One by Barry Gross and one by Dick Sing. I also took a class at Woodcrafters.

You will need a way to drill your blanks and the right size drill bit for the style pen you plan to turn. (slimline style is reccommended) A pen vise wil help with the accuracy of drilling.

A type of glue for the pen tubes. Several types can be used. I have tried Epoxy, CA and Gorilla glue. Not sure if I have a preference yet.

A pen mill to square up the ends of your blanks and clean the tubes.

A mandrel to fit your lathe. (ie morse taper # 2 is what I use) Bushings for style of pen kit.

Turning tools mentioned earlier. Safety (goggles, face shield, respirator/mask)

Sand paper in various grits.

A choice of finish.

A pen press to assemble the pen.

Most of all you need to find a way to add another 4 hours to your day. :D So many pens and not enough time.

Hope this helps, I know I left stuff out, hard to do this in between patients. The books and the class are what helped me get started and feeling comfortable.

RL Johnson
03-24-2005, 4:58 PM
I have both Barry's and Dick's book, but the one I like best is Turning Pens and Pencils By Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham. They are all good books and every penturner should have one in their library.
I am not sure I want to answer your question about Ebony and Purpleheart. :D
Gave all my purpleheart pen blank to my brother as I did not like all of the tearing out of the fibers that I was getting. I always get request for Ebony pens and pencils. It is a very tempermental wood that is very easy to crack. Polishes well and cut relative easily but I would not suggest it for a beginner. I would try Cocobolo as it is very striking in appearance and turns reasonable well. Please note some people are highly alergic to this wood so be careful, a dust mask is always advisable. Cocobolo does not bother me but mesquite tears me up :mad:.
Good luck in your pen making quest, try to find a local woodturning group and ask around for help. I have learn more from watching an experienced woodturner and asking a few questions than I ever did just trying it on my own.

Warren Donnelly
03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Go to www.pennstateind.com ,they have a CD that shows all the steps and accessories that are required for pen turning.The CD was free several months ago.

RL Johnson
03-25-2005, 6:13 PM
Russ Fairfield also has a great tutorial on pen turning http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html
Take a look you can learn alot in a very short time.

Randy Meijer
03-26-2005, 2:06 AM
If you haven't done so already, check out www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org) !!