PDA

View Full Version : Online design tool

Doug Griffith
03-11-2012, 8:45 PM
Hey All,
I'm curious if it's worth my time converting a program I recently wrote to an API. I built it for a customer but I retained rights to use the code. It's an online design tool where high resolution images can be uploaded, masked, moved around, scaled and layered. Type can be added using any true type font that I embed. It can be moved, scaled, masked, layered, and colored. It uses templates for different products that the images can be placed onto. It also embeds .ai/.eps files as well as vector polygons. It uses no Flash or applets just plain ol' jquery, php, and perl.

The tricky part is that the original image files are not touched during manipulation and are mirrored in a PDF for high resolution output. The goal was to make it as easy as clicking the print button.

I ask this question because I've had numerous people (some even from Sawmill Creek) request a tool like this but the problem has always been that the cost to develop was too high. Well now that the meat and potatoes are done and paid for, I can program the tool so it can be embedded in numerous websites through an iframe. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. There is still a lot of work to do.

Gary Hair
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Although I haven't had the need for it before, I would bet that if it were available on my website that it would get used. I would also bet that most of the engravers I know would be very interested. If you PM me I'll point you in the right direction to get some good feedback.

Gary

Chester Lindgren
03-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Hey All,
I'm curious if it's worth my time converting a program I recently wrote to an API. I built it for a customer but I retained rights to use the code. It's an online design tool where high resolution images can be uploaded, masked, moved around, scaled and layered. Type can be added using any true type font that I embed. It can be moved, scaled, masked, layered, and colored. It uses templates for different products that the images can be placed onto. It also embeds .ai/.eps files as well as vector polygons. It uses no Flash or applets just plain ol' jquery, php, and perl.

The tricky part is that the original image files are not touched during manipulation and are mirrored in a PDF for high resolution output. The goal was to make it as easy as clicking the print button.

Where were you several months ago....
The web development firm that is making my website is building something similar for me right now! You can check out what it will be for on my placeholder blog wwwetchpopcom. I'm still VERY interested in what you built. Maybe it could help facilitate finishing my website sooner! :D
I'll send you a PM.

Doug Griffith
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Where were you several months ago....
The web development firm that is making my website is building something similar for me right now! You can check out what it will be for on my placeholder blog wwwetchpopcom. I'm still VERY interested in what you built. Maybe it could help facilitate finishing my website sooner! :D
I'll send you a PM.

I'm interested to see what they come up with. It was some tricky programming. Calculating the X,Y and scale between display pixel units and the PDF's inch units had to be based on the ratio of display:print. Masking was also a challenge as well as matching screen font size to print font size.