PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of a Vessel of Illusion.

Bill Wyko
03-11-2012, 7:35 PM
The problem with segmenting is there's a lot of time away from the lathe. After just getting all the new Glaser tools I started a big segmented turning that would take me away from the use of the new goodies. I especially want to get some more time with the mini QR's. Anyway, I had this kind of boring looking blank that's been behind my lathe for years. I figured just the right piece of wood to turn with the Mini's that I could do relatively quick. I took it to the band saw and cut it round. The cut changed everything, this is a gorgeous piece of wood. Another thing about it, it's hard as steel, feels like ebony. Now I realized I have to make something cool out of it. I roughed it out with a mini roughing gouge then went to a bowl gouge and a fingernail gouge. Something I've come to realize is, the smaller gouges allow a very delicate cut as well as the ability to remove material fast. And for some reason, the smaller gouges make checking almost non existent. Sooo, once I got it to the shape you see here, I remembered my Trent Bosch DVD on the Vessel of Illusion. I decided the form I have here would lend perfectly to one of the Vessels of Illusion. I'm going to have to bring home an air saw and a couple burr wheels from work this week but I'm going to give it a try. Anyway, wish me luck and cross your fingers that I don't ruin this beautiful piece of wood. Speaking of which, anyone have an idea what kind of wood this might be?
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24055705/401538198.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24055705/401538199.jpg

Jason Clark2
03-11-2012, 7:52 PM
I would guess Mesquite.

Jason

Bill Wyko
03-11-2012, 8:06 PM
I thought that too but I put it next to a piece of Mesquite and they didn't look at all alike. This piece is way too yellow and the dark color resembles a rosewood. On its flat side it looked like Tigrillo but it cant be because I have a fierce allergic reaction to Tigrillo and this is much harder. Kind of a bummer, I'd like to find more of it.

John Keeton
03-11-2012, 8:07 PM
Bill, I am not familiar with your local woods except those that Kathy Marshall posts. It looks like locust to me, and that would be consistent with "hard as steel!" This is going to be a fine looking piece - great form already.

Dennis Ford
03-11-2012, 8:21 PM
It looks like elm to me.

Allan Ferguson
03-11-2012, 8:54 PM
I think John is right on this one. Interesting shape and grain patterns.

Gary Max
03-11-2012, 9:08 PM
Butternut----aka---white Walnut

James Combs
03-11-2012, 9:18 PM
Bill, I am not familiar with your local woods except those that Kathy Marshall posts. It looks like locust to me, and that would be consistent with "hard as steel!" This is going to be a fine looking piece - great form already.

Butternut----aka---white Walnut

I could almost go with either one of these but I just turned some of both so my vote has to lean toward locust even though the color is way off.

John Keeton
03-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Butternut, and "hard as steel" don't go together! Butternut is very soft and workable.

Jason Clark2
03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
There are quite a few varieties of Mesquite (Honey, Velvet, Chilean, Argentine, Screwbean, Black) and they can hybridize
With each other so it's not easy to compare 2 pieces visually. My money is still on Mesquite, particularly if it was harvested locally.

Jason

Bill Wyko
03-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks John and everyone. The blank was a very light color towards the outside of the tree. The flatsawn side looked like Macassar ebony in its grain but lighter in color. The sapwood color is slightly orange in color. Almost forgot, it had no bark on it when I got it. I hope I come across more of this wood, it seems to have potential. The grain would lead me to believe it was an old growth tree.

Reed Gray
03-12-2012, 1:41 AM
The top photo reminds me of some black locust. The lower photo looks like Madrone, which is most likely is not. I don't think I have seen those type of black lines in either wood. Not spaulting, and they don't look like cracks either. Trees do set up defensive lines that look like that, but there usually is a lot of color inside the lines as well. Looks nice.

robo hippy

Russell Neyman
03-12-2012, 8:03 AM
The black lines look like they're airbrushed.

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2012, 8:08 AM
No idea on the wood species... but I sure like the form! Looking forward to seeing what you create!!

Roland Martin
03-12-2012, 8:46 AM
No idea either on the species, but it's going to be a great looking form.

Brian Tymchak
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
My first guess would be Ash, but I've never seen spalting in Ash like that. Ash sometimes looks a lot like Locust, and is also hard. If you have a clean endgrain cut of the blank, you can use this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131099-Is-This-Ash&p=1326695&highlight=#post1326695)to compare it to Ash and Locust.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Kinda reminds me of locust but whatever it is it is a nice looking piece Bill.

Tim Rinehart
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Cool looking wood...no idea what it is. Look forward to seeing how this turns out, I love Trent's Vessels of Illusion though. He is on my list of demos/workshops I'd really enjoy.

Bill Wyko
03-12-2012, 1:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll keep my eye out at Woodworkers source where i got it. It was years ago so I don't know if I'll have much luck but I'll be looking. Today is my LOML's b-day so I probably won't get much time in today but I'll keep after it this week.

Gary Conklin
03-12-2012, 9:55 PM
Looks and fits the descrption of American Elm, don't know about the black lines though.

Bill Wyko
03-13-2012, 3:16 PM
I have to say, I'm quite surprised at how well these miniQR tools worked on this hard wood. They are so easy to work with. I thought I'd use them just for smaller stuff but they actually have their place right along side the bigger tools. Makes things go quite easily.

Jim Underwood
03-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm going to guess Elm also. Doesn't quite have that yellow color of locust...

If it has the little chevron shapes in the side grain, I'd say that clinches it. Can you do a macro or super macro on the side grain?

Bill Wyko
03-14-2012, 5:03 PM
I just got my burring bits today to do the carving & shaping. |I have to do a couple other things tonight but I'll be back on it tomorrow night.

Bill Wyko
03-14-2012, 8:44 PM
Just tracked the air shield, it'll be here in time to send the dust flying on this thing. A good way to break it in properly.

Clint Baxter
03-14-2012, 9:50 PM
When I first saw it, I thought elm as well. Haven't seen any with lines like that though but who knows on any tree till you look inside.

Clint

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2012, 11:14 PM
No idea on the wood, but if you got it from woodworkers source, I'd be tempted to take it there and see if they can identify it for you.

Bill Wyko
03-15-2012, 1:41 PM
Just went there this morning, they thought possibly Myrtle but no one is sure. Anyway, I carved the piece last night, it was a mess maker but it looks pretty cool. I'm holding out on pictures until I turn the insert tonight but it wasn't too bad to get into shape. I'll definitely be making more of these with the carved flower pod look. I'll give everyone a list of necessities to make these at the end.

Reed Gray
03-15-2012, 1:54 PM
I would say for sure, not Myrtle. It has a distinct scent, either kind of sweet and spicy, or like the bottom of the horse stall. Myrtle is hard and has inter locked grain, so can be difficult to turn. Madrone has a smooth even grain, but again I have never seen those lines in Madrone. It is very difficult to dry a piece of Madrone that size without it cracking. Can look solid on the outside, but be honey combed on the inside. I have seen plenty of black locust that is that color after it oxidizes a bit, or has been dry a long time. Great piece for 'can you guess what this is?'

robo hippy

Bill Wyko
03-15-2012, 1:58 PM
It is a pungent wood to smell but kind of hard to describe the scent. There are some hair link cracks across the grain. you can see one it the pictures. I put CA in them and they pretty much disappeared.

Rick Markham
03-15-2012, 3:27 PM
I agree with Reed, Myrtle has a very aromatic smell, hard to forget... almost perfumy.

Bill Wyko
03-15-2012, 4:11 PM
I'm going to go with Myrtle, this piece does have quite the aroma. It looks totally different now that I carved it into the flower pod look.

Bill Wyko
03-16-2012, 2:42 AM
Well, In the excitement of the new lathe, I forgot to stop for a cork and baloons to do the illusion inside. Everything is ready to go for tomorrow. Can't wait to share this one with you.

Bill Wyko
03-17-2012, 12:55 AM
I was successful getting the illusion inside the other one. I was blown away when I realized just how flexible the walnut became after boiling it for almost an hour. It was actually rubbery. I rolled it up and dropped it in.
I'm almost done so I should have pics this weekend. There are so many ways I can see using these techniques.