PDA

View Full Version : Finished finally, and THANKS!

Joe Tonich
03-24-2005, 9:43 AM
I finally finished the music stand last weekend :oops: :D and delivered the "Christmas" present this morning. The young one on the left is my oldest, JJ(11), the one on the right is Johnny (10), and in the center is Mr. Fortini, their music teacher. We were really lucky to fall in with him. :D It's nice to see someone who loves children, loves music, and loves teaching children music. :D He really loves his "job" and you can tell it in his programs and practices. :D :D

I want to thank everyone that helped, either by answering questions I posted or by answering the other questions I had thru the "search" feature on the forum.

I made a vacuum system to veneer the desk. It's made of Madrone veneer I resawed glued to 3/8" ply, framed with curly maple. The piece connecting the pedestal to the desk was glued and clamped. I turned the knobs out of the same maple as the pedestal and epoxied a bolt in one and 2 nuts in the other to to be able to adjust the tilt of the desk and tighten it so it would stay. I sliced the 2"x2" to get the center post and glued the sides back together to make the channel for the post. 1/4"Holes were drilled 1 1/2" apart in the post to raise & lower the desk with a peg I turned to hold it in place. I used sliding dovetails to attach the legs. Te finish is 1 coat of Danish Oil followed by 5 coats of water bourne Laquer.

There were a couple of "Firsts" with this project. :D It was my first try at veneering, first sliding dovetails, and first time spraying with my HVLP conversion gun

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2005, 9:45 AM
Joe....beautiful work! I'm sure the recipiant with give the project 1st chair!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-24-2005, 9:52 AM
That is great looking work! I am sure that the teacher was glad to wait for it! :)

Doug Shepard
03-24-2005, 10:13 AM
That's truly drool-worthy. Is that the natural color for that burl center section or did you dye/stain it? I've never worked with Madrone - just curious.

Lars Thomas
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Wow, that's really incredible. My kids are just starting music. I can see one of these in my future. Lars

Silas Smith
03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Very nice work! I always try and look for a few new techniques to try whenever I start a new project. It has resulted in some higher lumber cost sometimes, but to me the process is more enjoyable than the finished product.

Corey Hallagan
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Beautiful work Joe!! I love the combination of woods and finishes. Thanks for posting!

Corey

Jerry Olexa
03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Nice work, Joe! I used to work in the Cleveland market a few years ago>

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 12:18 PM
A most extraordinary effort on this, Joe. It's even more beautiful than I knew it would be!!!!!!!! Great job.

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Great job Joe. The madron burl is awsome and the maple contrasts it beautifully.
A piece to be proud of.

Roger

Royce Meritt
03-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Beautiful, simply beautiful!!

My "day job" is as a band teacher. I've even made a few music stands myself. None of them have been nearly as nice as your, however. Thanks for raising the bar for me. You've inspired me to try harder to make my next music stand as nice as your's. :)

Bryan Nuss
03-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Very, very nice Joe. Great craftsmanship!

John Hart
03-24-2005, 1:16 PM
Pretty impressive Joe. I especially like the fact that you took the time to veneer both sides. (A sign of good character perhaps?)

My girls need a music stand and you've inspired me. I've got to follow your lead. heh heh...You're in my neck of the woods...we probably get our veneer at the same store!

Ken Shoemaker
03-24-2005, 1:35 PM
Joe,

My wife is the Music Diector for the area middle school. She occasionaly gives music lessons in our home. She always has the music lying on the dinning room table. I can't think of a better project for her. Being very new to wood working, (haven't built a thing) I would be lucky to have done half the splendid job you have. Very beautiful work and a fantastic design. WELL DONE!

Aaron Montgomery
03-24-2005, 1:52 PM
Joe,

Great Stand!!! Is this an original design or from plans? I may have to think about making one of these for myself. ;) Very nicely done!

Bob Stegemann
03-24-2005, 6:28 PM
Awesome work and great use of wood variety!

Bruce Page
03-24-2005, 7:01 PM
Joe, that is very, very nice! I love the contrast in woods and the graceful feet are gorgeous. Great craftsmanship all the way around!
Everyone should have at least one “Mr. Fortini” in their past, they make the education process so much sweeter!

Mark Stutz
03-24-2005, 7:47 PM
Joe,
That is stunning. Beautiful selection of wood, though it's the craftsmanship that really stands out.

Mark

Steve Clardy
03-24-2005, 8:26 PM
Very nice Joe. Super work!!

Jerry Clark
03-24-2005, 8:33 PM
Joe, Great work-- but most of all you made a lot of points with those two boys. They learned a good lesson on giving and will remember this for the rest of their lives! :)

Tony Falotico
03-24-2005, 8:39 PM
First salute to Joe on a beautiful job on the music stand. Both of our girls are very musically talented, get it from LOML definitely not me.

Second salute to “Mr. Fortini” and all the other talented, dedicated, and underpaid teachers who do it for the love, certainly not the money.

John Miliunas
03-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Joe, that'd be a First Class act there! Really terrific. The joinery is perfection and man, that wood is just beautiful. I'm very impressed on a job well done! It's downright inspirational.:) :cool:

Joe Tonich
03-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. http://www.thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Like I said, I couldn't have done it without the knowledge that exists on this forum and a couple of others I visit. :) Woodworkers are a great bunch of people, and the willingness to share their knowledge with others that they've never even met is COOL! :D

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe Tonich
03-24-2005, 10:19 PM
That's truly drool-worthy. Is that the natural color for that burl center section or did you dye/stain it? I've never worked with Madrone - just curious.

Thanks. The color is natural. The oil and Laquer really brought out the color and grain. This is what it looked like before a finish.

Joe Tonich
03-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Joe,

Great Stand!!! Is this an original design or from plans? I may have to think about making one of these for myself. ;) Very nicely done!

Thanks. There are no plans for it. I took a measurement of the desk size of a metal stand my son is using and ended up just winging it. I saw in my head what I wanted and went from there. I was just glad it all came together OK. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
03-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Stunning work Joe...I love it!!

Martin Shupe
05-17-2005, 8:32 AM
Joe,

I am glad you posted the link...I must have missed this the first time around.

Fantastic work! I am sure the music teacher will cherish it.

Oh one more thing....low brass rules!

Too bad tubas are so expensive, I sure do miss playing sometimes.

Jason Tuinstra
05-17-2005, 8:01 PM
Joe, I guessed I missed this one along with Martin. Wow, is it fantastic! Very, very nice work on this one. Can't beat that figured maple.

Alan Turner
05-17-2005, 9:08 PM
Nice work; you should be proud.

Jules Dominguez
05-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Really, really nice. The kids and the teacher, too.

John Renzetti
05-18-2005, 8:19 AM
hi Joe, Great job on the music stand. I like the close up photos and the picture of the boys with their music teacher. I like the design of the stand.
Did you draw up your own plans.
take care,
John