PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly in the House!

Dan Gill
03-24-2005, 8:36 AM
I got my G0555 unpacked and assembled with the riser block. Installation and set up was pretty simple, but the bottom screw on the power switch was just about destroyed when they assembled at the factory. Shipping was very fast (it's really not all that far from Springfield, MO to Fort Worth, TX).

I have barely used the thing yet. My only complaint is that the fence slider (the part that sits on the rail) is higher than the table. That makes it virtually useless, since the board won't be in full contact with the table. I can't see any way it could be mounted differently, either. Any of you guys with this saw have a solution for that? And, no, I haven't called Grizzly yet.

The mobile base is a Rockler model, and I already don't like it. My garage has some good sized cracks in the floor, and it is very difficult to get the single wheel over the cracks without tipping the saw. I'm probably going to get a different base for this and use this one on something that isn't so tall.

Here is the pic - see, it really did happen.

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 8:49 AM
Yup, that looks like an actual bandsaw in your shop!! Congratulations!! 'Can't wait to see what you make with it... ;)

Kelly C. Hanna
03-24-2005, 8:59 AM
Congrats on the new saw! I sure would like to have one of those...

Greg Narozniak
03-24-2005, 9:02 AM
Looks EXACTLY like mine right down to the base :D

I have really not had any problems with it, maybe the shop fox would be a better choice.

Good luck with the saw

Greg

scott spencer
03-24-2005, 9:22 AM
Sure is purdy! ...nice and shiny.....see what you can do to fix that would ya!?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2005, 9:40 AM
Dan...nice b/s! I'm drooling! My first tool purchase after completing my new shop will probably be a bandsaw!

Jim DeLaney
03-24-2005, 9:46 AM
...The mobile base is a Rockler model, and I already don't like it. My garage has some good sized cracks in the floor, and it is very difficult to get the single wheel over the cracks without tipping the saw. I'm probably going to get a different base for this and use this one on something that isn't so tall...

Dan,
Nice saw. For the mobile base, I highly recommend the Shop Fox. I have three of them, and really like them all. They're much more stable than the HTC or the Jet bases (that I also have).

Grizzly also sells the Shop Fox bases - about $69.95 for the one you'll need, I believe.

John Bailey
03-24-2005, 9:53 AM
I've gotta' believe there is an adjustment for the slider problem. If I'm understanding the setup, any board longer than the table would be sitting on the slider instead of the table at that point. Gotta' be a fix.

John

Dan Gill
03-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I've gotta' believe there is an adjustment for the slider problem. If I'm understanding the setup, any board longer than the table would be sitting on the slider instead of the table at that point. Gotta' be a fix.

John

You're probably right, John. I'm going to look at it again this evening. I just barely had time to get it put together last night, and I was tired when I was done.

Corey Hallagan
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Nice saw Dan!! Enjoy!

Corey

David Fried
03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Nice. Now that you have it you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Vernon Foster
03-24-2005, 1:51 PM
I have the G0555 myself and found that there are two sets of holes where to mount the fence, ones on the bottom are receased and are easy to miss. I mounted mine in the upper holes and had the same problem with fence support being to high and in the way of the miter gauge, just remove fence rail and you'll see the other holes. I love mine and works great. I made a new fence out of birch plywood and used all the old mounting hardware. Works great. :D. Have fun Vernon

Dan Gill
03-24-2005, 3:00 PM
Thanks, Vernon. That's just the sort of information I was looking for.

Dan Gill
03-25-2005, 8:27 AM
Vernon was right. The right attachment holes were lower and recessed. I guess they designed the table for more than one fence system.

I had to rough cut two corbels for my Mission headboard, so I experimented with the Grizzly blade and the Viking blade I got from Lee Valley. No comparison. They both cut, but that was about the only similarity. The stock blade goes into storage to be used for cutting plastic or some such.