PDA

View Full Version : Epilog servo motor

Jeff DeVore
03-11-2012, 1:39 PM
Hi,
Does anybody know what the cost is for an x axis servo motor for a 2002 Legend 24EX? Mine just froze up on me while doing a job. It seems like it is a bearing but I don't have a star wrench small enough to take the motor apart. I need to get it back online ASAP. Thanks, Jeff.

Michael Hunter
03-11-2012, 3:07 PM
I believe that the motors are very expensive for what they are ~$200???

Is there a bearing at the end of the splined belt drive thingy (so it goes motor-splinedbit-bearing)?
If not, you may be eligible for an upgrade.

The upgrade consists of :
A new "motor cage" that replaces the existing one at the RH end of the beam.
A new motor with the extra bearing at the end
A new belt
4 belt guide things
A holder that screws on over the new bearing.

The motor was prone to bearing failure because of the tension of the belt. In the new setup, the belt tension is shared between the motor and the new bearing - and it lasts MUCH longer.

(I have a spare motor - used but still OK - and would send it, but I'm the wrong side of the pond so it would probably take ages to get to you.)

Jeff DeVore
03-11-2012, 3:28 PM
Michael,
Thanks for the reply. The bearing is inside the end plate of the motor. The belt drive spline is attached to a flat spot on the motor shaft with a set screw. Is the upgrade more money or do they include it with the price of the motor? Thanks for the offer of the motor but I'll have to have Epilog overnite it, Jeff.

Michael Hunter
03-11-2012, 3:32 PM
The motor on mine failed right at the end of the guarantee period.
I got a new motor under the guarantee, but my dealer also told me about the upgrade and said he would try to get one for me.
It took a while to come through, but I got all the bits absolutely free (including another motor), even though the guarantee had run out by then.

Joe Pelonio
03-11-2012, 5:48 PM
I had the same problem and got the new one with reinforced shaft bearing at no charge, but then it would have been close to $250 for my 2006.

Jeff DeVore
03-11-2012, 6:29 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. Jeff.

Jeff DeVore
03-12-2012, 1:51 PM
Just an update. Talked to Epilog and the are going to send me an ugraded motor and housing for free including shipping:). But the bad news is I checked on the price of a 75W tube because mine is slowly loosing power and they have gone up from $2700.00 that I paid 4 years ago to $3500.00:eek:. Thanks for all the help, Jeff.