PDA

View Full Version : Small project - Step stool for my toddler son

daniel lane
03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Okay, I'll never be at the same level as George, but maybe I can show some of the work I've done. Below is a wooden step stool I made for my son to help with potty training. It's so he can wash his hands all by himself, something he really wanted to (and does) do. It's not quite a neander project, as I used a router to round over the edges (don't have any molding planes, yet) and you can clearly see the imprint of the ROS in the dust, but it was a quick project over the Christmas holiday - 5 hours from raw stock to photograph, not counting the overnight panel glue-up.

It's about 14" deep, 12" tall, and 20" wide, IIRC. I used a single 1x8x8' piece of premium pine from the BORG. To justify the neander forum post, I crosscut it with my new (to me) Disston D8 saw (and was very sad when I was so quickly done with that job!), cut the notches with my LV back saws, trimmed those with my shoulder plane, and predrilled the nail holes with an eggbeater. The nails are the wedge-shaped cut style of nails, and this project is the first time I used them. I admit to using them because I'd just bought them, that and speed are probably why I didn't bother dovetailing the cross braces. The side panels are glued up at the "L" and I really like how it turned out. The way I planned the crosscuts, I made sure to take two adjacent pieces and glued them together on the same edge. Sort of a "book match" if you will. The steps themselves were rounded over with a router, as was the top cross brace for comfort of little hands picking it up there.

Anyway, this is it when it was finished. The boy loves it and although I thought the wood looked fantastic and was prepared to oil/shellac finish it, he insisted on bright red paint. *sigh*

daniel

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-11-2012, 1:47 PM
I think it looks really nice, and sometimes it's just really refreshing to get something actually done, so these simpler projects can be great.

I'd prefer chamfers or a smaller round over, but I'm kind of silly like that.

Chris Griggs
03-11-2012, 2:45 PM
Nice! Looks like a fun build. Those quick projects are often more satisfying the the complex lengthy ones - you get a lot of quick gratification and end up with something useful!

Jim Koepke
03-11-2012, 3:57 PM
I am sure your son will enjoy this for many years to come.

Maybe even a grandchild or two will enjoy having it.

jtk

Bill White
03-11-2012, 5:30 PM
Make sure it gets a special place so he can see it for years to come. Ya done GOOD!
Bill

Sam Murdoch
03-11-2012, 6:02 PM
Great little stool! Maybe you can get your son to compromise and go with a thin red paint - or dye finish so that the grain shows through. Tell him it will age better :D Like him!

Justin Green
03-11-2012, 6:04 PM
Red will be great. I have the steps tool my father made for me. He passed away when I was 2. It is red, and reads:

This little stool is mine
I use it all the time
To reach the things I couldn't
and lots of things I shouldn't

Jim Matthews
03-11-2012, 6:30 PM
Now you must make one for Mommy, to hide the GOOD cookies.

daniel lane
03-11-2012, 8:41 PM
Thanks, all, for your comments. Frankly, I was a little embarrassed to post this, but I figured I need to post even the little things to get feedback, or I won't grow as a woodworker.

The missus loves it, and wants one for the kitchen. Problem is, the kid can get to all the dangerous stuff if we have one in the kitchen! I'm considering designing a "drop down" step in certain cabinet doors, but not sure it's worth it (or that it will work).

The red paint he settled on is spray painted, and the grain lines show through. A good compromise, as far as I'm concerned. He uses it all the time and carries it to the kitchen to help with the toaster in the mornings, I'm really, REALLY, proud of how much he likes it. Little things like that mean the world to me. I hope to do more for him, and appreciate all the comments!

BTW, Justin - I love that little prose, any issues if I use it myself? I think he'd love it and God only knows it's true!!!

Regards,

daniel

daniel lane
03-11-2012, 8:46 PM
I'd prefer chamfers or a smaller round over, but I'm kind of silly like that.

Joshua (and all),

I like chamfers too, and frankly the round over was because I felt it would benefit from such treatment and the only bit I had was a 1/2" RO. I probably could have chamfered it all with my block plane, but I was in a hurry!

I'll probably wait a bit and then start a new thread to this effect, but the want gland is going into overdrive on molding planes. What are good first-time user molding planes to purchase (I want to make my own but don't have time right now)? I'm looking at planes on thebestthings, but is there another site to consider? I can't control the want gland and it's screaming for a half-dozen planes to play with. Any ideas?

daniel

Justin Green
03-12-2012, 12:35 AM
BTW, Justin - I love that little prose, any issues if I use it myself? I think he'd love it and God only knows it's true!!!

Regards,

daniel

Not at all! Now I have a son and he's using it. He just turned 2. I'd say most of what he uses it for are things in the "shouldn't" category!