PDA

View Full Version : The most dangerous tool in the shop . . .

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-11-2012, 9:49 AM
Once again, I've managed to give myself a really annoying, small injury on my dominant hand. A blood blister this time. Nothing severe, but it hurts and makes everything awkward.

This time, the culprit was the tape measure.

Folding rules have another point in their favor again, I guess.

I think it's been ages since I've cut myself with an edge tool - but I always seem to hurt myself with things like tape measures, clamps, pieces of wood . . . The last one was somehow slamming the web of my hand in between the edge of a tenon I was cutting and the cheek of my saw.

I guess I need to remember to be careful with all the tools, not just the pointy ones. I really find the whole thing ridiculous, that it was a tape measure . . .

Harry Hagan
03-11-2012, 9:54 AM
The most dangerous tool in most people’s shop is the one lodged between their ears.

Eric Brown
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Old quote "Slow down, you'll go faster".

Eric

Zach Dillinger
03-11-2012, 11:06 AM
I do stuff like that all the time, but even if you added all of them up, they don't compare to a simple slip with a chisel, where I almost took the tip of my pinky off... So, for me, the most dangerous tool is the chisel.

george wilson
03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
The chisel is the most dangerous hand tool in the shop. It can go in deep,and can sever the nerves to the fingers,hand,etc.. Its small width makes it go deeper than any other edged tool with the same force applied to it.

I have mostly cut myself with a block plane,holding little parts in my hand that couldn't be clamped in a vise due to odd shape,I've shaved off a number of "potato chips",but nothing serious,and not for many years.

Klaus Kretschmar
03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Recently I had to cut a big piece of lead into handy pieces. The sawing didn't work, as soft as the metal is as quick it dulls a saw! So I took a scrap chisel, the paint can opener, and a heavy hammer. One stroke glided off the chisel and hit my left hand which was broken recently. Wow, my first thought was that I ruined the hand but it was just painful, nothing severe had happened thanks godness. Here a pic that was taken a moment before it happened.

There are many chances to hurt yourself in the shop.

Klaus

Bob Strawn
03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
http://battlering.com/woodworking/images/First%20tool%20to%20use.jpg

This is the most dangerous tool in my shop.....

Yes, that's right, turning on the power switch enables all sorts of dangerous tools. ;)

Bob

Jim Matthews
03-11-2012, 1:37 PM
http://battlering.com/woodworking/images/First%20tool%20to%20use.jpg

This is the most dangerous tool in my shop.....

Yes, that's right, turning on the power switch enables all sorts of dangerous tools. ;)

Bob

That's no tool, that there's for life support.

Just in case the preppers are right, I'm laying in stock on can openers.
I figure if they're camouflaged, they'll buy more, and loose track of them - so they can buy more...

Bruce Haugen
03-11-2012, 1:40 PM
Many years ago on rec.ww, there was a lengthy discussion about what would be the most dangerous weapon in your shop. A lot of answers were chisels, hammers, saws - the usual suspects. John Gunterman said he was a black belt in one of the martial arts and we wouldn't believe what he could do with a broomstick.

The winner, however, went to one guy who was a contractor and was building an addition to his own home. He heard someone rifling through his stuff in the wee hours of the morning and quietly went downstairs. His compressor was hooked up to his nail gun loaded with spikes. He confronted the thief, told him he could have a dozen 3" spikes stuck in the guy in just seconds and then proceeded to nail the guy to the floor through his clothing. The cops got a pretty good laugh over that one.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-11-2012, 1:43 PM
I was joking a little bit about it being the most dangerous tool, of course.

Harry and George have probably got the top two contenders, at least in my experience.

I thought Bob's most dangerous tool was the bottle opener! The nice thing about woodworking is it keeps me from drinking so much, because I'm pretty sure the two don't mix

Bill White
03-11-2012, 5:20 PM
Whassa matter wif drinkin' (hic) 'n wudworkn. Thas when I make the best mis (hic) takes. BLOWWWWW, UGHHHH.
Bill (jokin' of course)

ray hampton
03-11-2012, 6:44 PM
mine worst tools are vise-grips and tin snips, I can squeeze the handle of both and pinch the skin if I not careful

Richard Wolf
03-11-2012, 7:35 PM
Oh the tape measure can hurt. There is a woman cashier at Home Depot that will not let my son help her measure lengths because he lets the tape snap back at her, and it hurts her hand. Of course he's 28 years old and knows better, but he always has all the answers.

randall rosenthal
03-11-2012, 9:10 PM
well....i did set myself on fire with an angle grinder. (sparks from cutting the head off a bolt) i nick myself so often with knives and gouges its not worth mentioning.