PDA

View Full Version : Big, long bed lathes - what would you buy?

Scott Conners
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I have a friend who wants to invest in a lathe for turning large architectural items - columns, balusters etc. I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist and other places for a large oliver or something, but I recently realized that a more standard type lathe with bed extensions might be enough. He's looking for something with a nice long bed 96"+ and a reasonable swing and power. I've seen a couple 10' homemade looking ones on CL for a few grand, and I realized that you could put together a Jet 1642 with a 57" bed extension for right around three thousand, and have 99" between centers as well as a sliding headstock and modern features. I'd love to see the options for something one step bigger.

With that in mind, what brand(s) of lathes would you look at for putting together a lathe with at least 16" of swing and accepts long bed extension(s)? We have a reasonable budget to work with, I figure at least 5-6K for the lathe and then some for accessories and tools.

Rick Markham
03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Powermatic offers a 50" extension for the 3520B, at least they did at one point.

Ted Calver
03-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Here's what I did.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168778-You-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat&highlight=

Rick Markham
03-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Ted, That's a dream machine right there! Thanks for posting your link, I'm wanting to do this eventually with my PM 3520B. I need a bigger house/shop first :)

charlie knighton
03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
get a metal lathe revolving center for tail stock, it has a much higher load limit

there was a post on this board with web address for metal lathe revolving center a while back