PDA

View Full Version : Beaded Chestnut Platter

BILL DONAHUE
03-10-2012, 10:20 PM
This is a 14" Chestnut platter with a beaded rim with black gesso. The trick to using gesso is to apply it before the final cuts are made so you can turn away areas where it shouldn't be (as in mistakes). Gesso is not absorbed by wood so it can be applied to a piece on a turning lathe and then a detail gouge can remove what you don't want leaving a clean, crisp line. Also included is one picture showing the platter in the foyer of our house. Nothing llike an overhead light to make a woodturning look special. (the first picture is not bright enough)

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Good looking platter Bill! I really like your display area!!

Greg Just
03-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Very nice Bill. I have used Gesso in the past and was wondering if you put any finish over it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Great looking platter Bill. Really nice display.

Baxter Smith
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Very nice platter Bill and the display area is neat too! You have done a lot of things that would look great there!

Kathy Marshall
03-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Beautiful platter Bill and it looks great in the display nook.

John Keeton
03-11-2012, 7:06 AM
Nice platter, and a great display arrangement! I have used Gesso a couple of times, and have found it better to use shellac on the piece first as the wood will absorb the moisture from the Gesso and move. In fact, I cracked a piece recently by applying Gesso to the interior. In my experience, Gesso can be coated with a finish if one desires. It has a matte look if not finished.

Doug W Swanson
03-11-2012, 9:52 AM
The rim treatment looks nice. It really dresses up the platter!