PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration in the Mail

Baxter Smith
03-10-2012, 9:29 PM
While I was hooking up the trailer to help my son do some landscaping yesterday, I noticed the mail truck parked in front of the house. About the only time it comes up the driveway is if there is a large flatrate box involved. This time was no exception! :D

When I checked out the shipping label, I saw that it was from a benevolent woodturning lady in Arizona. Given her history, I can’t say I was shocked, but it sure brought a smile to my face. :) Thank you Kathy!!! I was about to leave but I did take time to check out the contents! Didn’t get back home until late last night, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t take another peek inside.

This morning it was time for a picture of some African Sumac.

Kathy asked if I would post a picture when I turned something. Hope these will do. Just hate to keep a lady waiting!

Scott Hackler
03-10-2012, 9:34 PM
Geez, you didn't wait very long to get that on the lathe! The cored set looks great and should turn red in the sun (I believe).

Baxter Smith
03-10-2012, 9:35 PM
I wanted them to be something I could use so they are sanded inside and out with walnut oil to 400#. They had quite a few tiny eyes/bark inclusions that I put some pastewax around before putting a small drop of CA on. If they can dry without cracking and don’t warp too much, I may just need to flatten the bottom of the small foot I left on each.

The largest is 11” x 4 ¼”, going down to 6”x1”, and vary in thickness from 5/16th to 1/8”.

Kathy said they will turn red with the light. They won’t be seeing the light of day for at least another month though.

If they behave themselves, they will get their formal pictures and signings later.
Thanks again for some great wood Kathy. It was a wonderful gift and one that I hope to use!:)
Kept me off the streets today too.;)

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 9:55 PM
Beautiful set of bowls Baxter! Looking forward to seeing the photos once they are finished drying!

Allan Ferguson
03-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Lucky, lucky and busy. Look nice and special.

Hayes Rutherford
03-10-2012, 10:14 PM
You made short work of that piece of wood!! Very attractive set.

Marty Eargle
03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
That is a great looking set! Beautiful, beautiful wood...look forward to seeing your final shots of them!

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Really a beautiful set Baxter. Love the wood.

Kathy Marshall
03-10-2012, 11:13 PM
That's a great looking set Baxter, just like I thought it would be! I checked the bowls I turned last weekend and so far there is no movement that I could see just by looking (they'be been in some plastic grocery bags very loosely closed), so yours should be very happy in paper bags. The eyes and bark inclusions are pretty common, sometimes heavy enough to give the look of burl wood.
Look forward to seeing the final shots!

John Keeton
03-11-2012, 6:57 AM
Kudos to Kathy, and to you, Baxter, for great use of that sumac! Very nice looking set of bowls. Sure makes one think about a coring system and I don't even like doing bowls!!

Doug W Swanson
03-11-2012, 9:50 AM
Nice bowls! I can't wait to see how they turn out....

Baxter Smith
03-11-2012, 9:57 AM
Thanks for your thoughts! I feel very fortunate to have recieved such a great gift!

Geez, you didn't wait very long to get that on the lathe!.........
Scott it probably was a combination of me being paranoid about a neat piece of wood developing more cracks and a desire to try something new, not to mention it being a gift that needed to be opened.....I felt no need to wait!:)

That's a great looking set Baxter, just like I thought it would be! I checked the bowls I turned last weekend and so far there is no movement that I could see just by looking (they'be been in some plastic grocery bags very loosely closed), so yours should be very happy in paper bags. The eyes and bark inclusions are pretty common, sometimes heavy enough to give the look of burl wood.
Look forward to seeing the final shots!
Thanks again for the very nice and "different" wood Kathy. I am glad they lived up to your expectations! Hopefully the CA will keep those little spots from opening up. Wanting to make users out of them was probably not the best choice but they should be ok for dryer things and I doubt a little bark will do me in.

...Sure makes one think about a coring system and I don't even like doing bowls!!
I won't be holding my breath on that one John;), but for out of the ordinary wood(for me), it does help make it go further and helps create something a little more special!:)

charlie knighton
03-11-2012, 9:59 AM
nice bowls and awful nice of Kathy to send you the wood