PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Red Gum Bowl Rough-out

Bruce Lundgren
03-10-2012, 8:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago I roughed-out a red gum bowl. I turned it to +/- 10% of the diameter. I noticed a crack in the side and put anchor seal on it but am not sure I did the right thing and maybe should have put a filler in (not sure what and I don't have any sawdust to use). Now that the anchor seal is in the crack how do I repair it? I'm a new turner so need help. Thanks.
Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Bruce - really hard to give advice without a photo to go by. If the crack is a surface crack - meaning it doesn't run all the way through the wall - then I wouldn't worry about it yet. Most of the wood will be turned away when you finish turn it. As far as fixing a crack... I use CA glue. If I wanted to blend the crack into the rest of the wood - then you can use the sawdust routine - but no sense trying that on a rough out as all your effort would be turned away anyway.

I believe that anchorseal can be removed with denatured alcohol (DNA) or mineral spirits. Having the wax get into the crack probably didn't help things as far as slowing down the drying... but that is how you learn.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2012, 10:57 PM
I agree with Steve. I would let it dry. I paint the whole surface with anchorseal and stack them on the floor in a cool, dry place with little air flow and pretty cool (65* or so). If the crack shows up when you finish turn it, I would sand it trying to keep some of the sanding dust inside the bowl. Brush it down into the crack and then hit with CA.

Bruce Lundgren
03-11-2012, 5:07 AM
Thanks Bernie and Steve. Hopefully it will not be too deep and I can turn it away. Otherwise CA and sawdust. Appreciate your advise.
Bruce

robert baccus
03-11-2012, 7:23 AM
Hope it works out. the wax makes it really tough to glue later and very hard to remove. red gum is one of our best traveling woods. i usually wax them on the lathe and keep it sprayed and covered even to go to lunch.------------old forester

Bruce Lundgren
03-11-2012, 7:27 PM
Hope it works out. the wax makes it really tough to glue later and very hard to remove. red gum is one of our best traveling woods. i usually wax them on the lathe and keep it sprayed and covered even to go to lunch.------------old forester
Robert- Good to know about red gum being more suceptible to movement. It's my first try at this wood. I realized after putting the wax in the crack it would be a problem to glue. Oh well, a good lesson. Thanks for the advise. I'm learning a lot from everyone at SMC. A great group of folks!
Bruce