PDA

View Full Version : Help me help my mother PC user please

Sam Murdoch
03-10-2012, 5:17 PM
My Dear Mom has decided that she just must have spell check on her e-mail. We agree :). Problem is none of us can figure out how to set it up. She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6. I am a Mac user. What she has now only offers a spelling corrections in FRENCH :confused:

Me nor the sibs can figure out how to make a change. Can't seem to find a preference folder for her e-mail to make the changes.
She does have spell check in word processing just not in e-mail.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks much.

Sam

Ted Calver
03-10-2012, 5:19 PM
tools,options,spelling should get you to the right spot

Chuck Wintle
03-10-2012, 5:52 PM
My Dear Mom has decided that she just must have spell check on her e-mail. We agree :). Problem is none of us can figure out how to set it up. She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6. I am a Mac user. What she has now only offers a spelling corrections in FRENCH :confused:

Me nor the sibs can figure out how to make a change. Can't seem to find a preference folder for her e-mail to make the changes.
She does have spell check in word processing just not in e-mail.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks much.

Sam
good reason to ditch outlook express and move to thunderbird...a much better program.

Lee Schierer
03-10-2012, 5:56 PM
I concur, and Thunderbird is much less likely to be exploited by worms, virus etc.

Michael Gaynes
03-10-2012, 8:44 PM
Outlook Express doesn't have its own spell check - it uses the one from Word. Apparently, ever since Word 2007 this function is broken. Others have reported the same French issue.

A search for "Spell Checker For OE" will get you to a freeware program that claims to solve the problem.

Myk Rian
03-10-2012, 9:05 PM
I also recommend T-bird. I never use a MS program if I don't have to.

Sam Murdoch
03-10-2012, 9:08 PM
Thank you all. I'm passing this info on to my brother :D - He's the "smart one" in the family -PC wise anyway. Thanks a lot!