PDA

View Full Version : Unintended Reward of Hand Sawing

Jim Koepke
03-10-2012, 1:44 PM
When my shoulder feels up to it I have been rip cutting some ash lumber in lengths of 8 - 10'.

This has been going on over the past two or three months off and on.

I do not know if this is all due to the stepped up effort in the shop…

My blood pressure is down.

My stamina is up.

My blood sugar also seems to be benefitting.

My weight is also down by more than 20 lbs.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-10-2012, 2:26 PM
One of my favorite bits of hand-wood-working. When I can't (or, I suppose, don't) bike in the winter, a lot of hand-surfacing and ripping helps keep me in in something resembling "in shape".

Paul Saffold
03-10-2012, 2:42 PM
Congratulations, Jim. I's not often enough that something good for us is fun too.

Bill Houghton
03-10-2012, 3:03 PM
Congratulations, Jim. I's not often enough that something good for us is fun too.
Well, gosh, I can think of one thing; but I can't talk about it here.

Jacob Nothstine
03-10-2012, 4:43 PM
You need a foot powered lathe to work out your legs. If you can turn wood on the lathe and saw at the same time it would be a great workout.

Zach Dillinger
03-10-2012, 5:18 PM
You need a foot powered lathe to work out your legs. If you can turn wood on the lathe and saw at the same time it would be a great workout.

Just think of all the weight you'd lose when you accidentally saw your arm off... what does an arm weigh, anyway... 15 pounds?

I play copious amounts of tennis to keep in shape, but hand tool stock preparation is certainly up there... and is easier on the body.

lowell holmes
03-10-2012, 5:55 PM
Ripping 10' boards by hand is fun? ? ? :)

Jim Neeley
03-10-2012, 6:18 PM
Congratulations, Jim! Incorporating exercise you love into your life; it doesn't get any better than that!! :)

Zach Dillinger
03-10-2012, 6:32 PM
Ripping 10' boards by hand is fun? ? ? :)

Yup! Thickness planing is too!

Jim Matthews
03-10-2012, 6:59 PM
So, is sawdust is a natural appetite suppressant?

Or is it because we don't keep a fridge in the shop?

Trevor Walsh
03-10-2012, 7:02 PM
After Thanksgiving I suggest making 1/4" square sticks out of rail road ties, either by sawing or hand planing.

Doug Bowman
03-10-2012, 9:30 PM
When I can't (or, I suppose, don't) bike in the winter

This has been a great winter for riding - just get on and pedal!

Ken Whitney
03-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I see an opportunity for a TV show:

"Woodworkers Weight Loss - With Jim Koepke"

Please, no spandex.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Seems like you could jump start the next fitness trend, and save money. Instead of buying some power tools to do the heavy lifting, you get gullible people to pay *you* for the privilege of doing that work!

Tom Stenzel
03-11-2012, 10:33 AM
A weight loss was a guarantee - if you're ripping 10' boards by hand you only have about a 1/2 hour every other day to eat!

-Tom Stenzel

Justin Green
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't remember seeing any of Roubo's drawings that featured pleasantly plump carpenters...

Joey Chavez
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
My company requires talking to a health coach once a quarter in order to get discounts on the premiums. This week I got the call and when asked what I've been doing for exercise I told her I've been doing a lot of hand planing. She didn't really know what to say, even after I explained it to her.

Jon Toebbe
03-11-2012, 11:31 AM
I can imagine the fine folks at Lee Valley having some fun with this idea for next year's April Fool's Tool. But somehow the image of a Bowflex tricked out with chisels, plane irons and saw blades sounds more terrifying than amusing...

Bill White
03-11-2012, 5:36 PM
Imagine what you could do with a large, two man saw in the NW woods and a large redwood tree.

(Those loggers must have been some beasty boys.)
Bill

Jim Matthews
03-11-2012, 5:37 PM
I see an opportunity for a TV show:"Woodworkers Weight Loss - With Jim Koepke"Please, no spandex.

Oh come on, JK in the Full Fonda - complete with leg warmers and Norm Abram suspenders? Just the cover art work would sell the video...

Jim Matthews
03-11-2012, 6:28 PM
I can imagine the fine folks at Lee Valley having some fun with this idea for next year's April Fool's Tool. But somehow the image of a Bowflex tricked out with chisels, plane irons and saw blades sounds more terrifying than amusing...

Isn't that how a treadle lathe works? I might come up with my first YouTube script, yet!

daniel lane
03-11-2012, 8:36 PM
Well, gosh, I can think of one thing; but I can't talk about it here.

Why not? I love growing vegetables in the back yard, too! :D

Jim, what you've indicated here is one of the things I love about neander work. It's like a second benefit to all the sounds, smells, etc. that come with sawing or planing. I'm really happy that you've got quantitative results, I've only ever hoped for qualitative, but it inspires me to do more of this. Note in my earlier thread on the step stool for my son that I had the first chance to use my Disston D8 xcut saw - I *really* was upset when I was done, it was so nice to use the tool and a pleasant job to boot!

Best wishes on the improved health via woodworking. Let's see some journal articles!

daniel

harry strasil
03-11-2012, 9:39 PM
The Ladies are the ones who are always worrying about losing weight. Now just tell your other half that you are going to go full out on an exercise program for her! Your going to convert to a complete Neander Shop and she gets to power all the old tools with the exercise cycle converted to a Line Shaft operated shop. And that's how the ride in the ambulance came about and all the blood on the walls, floor and ceiling of the shop.

Bill Bukovec
03-12-2012, 9:36 PM
What kind of saw do you use? I have often wondered if anybody ripped logs by hand.

bill

Matthew N. Masail
03-13-2012, 5:10 AM
A weight loss was a guarantee - if you're ripping 10' boards by hand you only have about a 1/2 hour every other day to eat!

-Tom Stenzel

Lol! Jim I'm happy for you, nothing feels better than being in good\better shape (Bill I know what your thinking... )

Bryan Schwerer
03-13-2012, 7:44 AM
I certainly prefer working in my shop compared to the different sort of Neanderthal you usually come across in the gym. I have a treadle lathe, the only problem is my balance is only good on one foot, using the other foot I am a complete mess and would probably end up hurting myself. So I would have one gigantic leg and one skinny leg.

Shawn Albe
03-13-2012, 8:03 AM
One of my favorite bits of hand-wood-working. When I can't (or, I suppose, don't) bike in the winter, a lot of hand-surfacing and ripping helps keep me in in something resembling "in shape".
Hey, even without much hand tool work or exercise, I'm in shape: "round" is a shape!