PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Skate Honing Guide

Steven J Corpstein
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Has anybody tried one of these honing guides? I just sent one back to Woodcraft because the axles were not drilled and tapped on the same center-line causing the middle wheel to be high and that made the guide rock.

Just wondered if anybody else had the same issue?

I want to like this guide and would like to get another if one of you can confirm the wheels all touch a flat surface at the same time on yours.

David Weaver
03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I think you're the second person in 4 or 5 years that I've seen actually mentioning the guide (perhaps it hasn't been out 4 or 5 years).

Call Harrelson Stanley and see if it's common, I think you're likely to get the best advice straight from him.
http://hmsenterprises.com/webstore/japanesetools.com.html

Jim Koepke
03-10-2012, 1:50 PM
the axles were not drilled and tapped on the same center-line causing the middle wheel to be high and that made the guide rock.

I am not familiar with this product. It is a bit pricey for my consideration.

I see on the web site that different wheels are available.

Is it possible yours has a set of wheels designed for cambering a blade?

jtk

George Beck
03-10-2012, 2:00 PM
I have two of these, A sharp skate I and a Sharp skate II. I have never had a problem with it. I have worn the firsts wheels and replaced them. If you use on coarse stones the wheels wear down. ( I use it it mostly as a grinding aid when setting the initial flat bevel and once dead flat I go free hand). I use this for initial bevel setting and for the few times when I want a micro-bevel (such as a bevel up plane). I am sure if you call Harrison he will take care of any issues. He is a pretty righteous fellow.

George

Jim Neeley
03-10-2012, 6:19 PM
Derek has a review here: http://inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/Side%20Sharpening%20and%20The%20Sharp%20Skate.html

Jim in Alaska

Jim Matthews
03-10-2012, 7:09 PM
I have to wonder, looking at the large knurled knob at the top, if the "chassis" can be distorted by over tightening?

I use the Kell guide, which clamps a blade from the side.