PDA

View Full Version : Box Parts

Dick Wilson
03-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I was rumaging through my turning parts boxes ( believe me, I have a number of them) trying to find a piece that I could use on a turning I am working on. I found it and proceeded. It did get me thinking though about constructing a piece strictly from parts that had been part of a turning long past. I picked a hollow turning of maple in the shape of a teardrop. I also had four pieces of box elder that had been a ?????????? and I have no idea what I was working on at the time. I used three of the box elder pieces (see picture) and formed legs. The hollow form still had the rough area including the tenon. I turned the tenon down and turned a slot for the legs to fit into. I turned a finial. The HL was already air gun dyed and finish applied before I epoxied the legs. I filled the exposed slot with Professional Wood Filler and painted the top/finial black. This was fun little project. Some will really like it and some will look at it as if someone cut a big one. :D.226648226649

Hayes Rutherford
03-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Dick, I do like it and it needs its own thread. It some abstract way it evokes a sort of bug on legs image but its much more about the overall form which is excellent. Nice use of "parts".

Hayes Rutherford
03-10-2012, 1:43 PM
Dick, on second glance you did give it its own thread (dum me) it just needs a more suitable aristic name than Box Parts.

John Keeton
03-10-2012, 1:48 PM
Dick, I like it!! Looks as though all the extraneous parts came together quite well, it flows, the colors are good, and proportions of the bottom elements are excellent. The finial is a bit tall for my tastes by about 20%. Great job of recycling!

Rick Markham
03-10-2012, 1:52 PM
I'm in the group that likes it. I think it's great! Who can criticize anything with such wonderful curves and "legs that go all the way up!" :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2012, 1:55 PM
Beauty Dick. I like it. Just cool.

Bill Bolen
03-10-2012, 5:45 PM
Love the effect the "legs" bring to the piece Dick. The dye job sure fits well too. Guess that means I'm in the like it camp. A slimmer finial would put it in the blue ribbon catagory!

Scott Hackler
03-10-2012, 6:28 PM
Very nice design. I like the cut away "legs" supporting that very nice pointy form. Not overly fond of the finial though, my gut says a short teardrop topper might suit it a little better. But that is just different taste. Hats off for stepping out of the box (of parts) and creating a cool piece.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 7:25 PM
That is a really cool effect and not something you see everyday! Kind of an exoskeleton and it has a lot of possibilities! Thanks for sharing!

Steve bellinger
03-10-2012, 7:36 PM
Dick put me down as one that likes this. Like others have said i think a thinner ,or different finial.

Ronald Campbell
03-10-2012, 7:40 PM
Dick Hello from Albuquerque NM. The piece looks great. I like what you did with the legs. I might agree with Scott H that the finial for me is not right. I sure would like to see this at the next club meeting. I won't be back but I am sure the piece will be there. See ya soon

Harry Robinette
03-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Dick
You did it again, Beautiful just beautiful. Love the lines and the feel it has even though I can't actually feel it. Hope this makes sense.

Kathy Marshall
03-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Very cool Dick! I really like how you did the legs and the dye job looks great, but I do agree that "box of parts" is not a fitting name for such a nice piece.

Michelle Rich
03-11-2012, 7:20 AM
Dick! the legs are WONDERFUL, DELIGHTFUL, MAGNIFICENT!

Bill Hensley
03-11-2012, 7:41 AM
Dick you done good! Very clever design, it all comes together nicely. To me the finial could use some tweaking...or reduced to just the bulb.

Dick Wilson
03-11-2012, 2:21 PM
Thanks everyone.

Scott Hackler
03-11-2012, 6:48 PM
Yeah!!!! Congrats Dick on the WoW cover!!!! :)

David DeCristoforo
03-11-2012, 8:13 PM
I don't think I have seen a suspended vessel like this before. Yes, the finial is a bit "fat" but you could just as well take the finial off completely and this would still work very well.

Nate Davey
03-11-2012, 9:24 PM
Great piece and congrats on the making the cover of WOW.