PDA

View Full Version : Shenhui "through lens" red dot

Eric Ucci
03-10-2012, 8:50 AM
Can someone post a photo of what their through lens red dot setup looks like?
I ordered the thru lens option on 2 machines and I got what you see in the photo. Does Shenhui, in fact, have a thru-lense option?

Thanks
Eric226629

Rich Harman
03-10-2012, 2:30 PM
They do offer a through-the-lens red dot. Like yours, my machine did not come with it. They did send me one but I have not installed it.

The through-the-lens red dot mounts directly to the first mirror.

Richard Rumancik
03-10-2012, 6:06 PM
I thought Rodne had it on his machine originally - if I recall he said that the red-dot pointer on the Shenhui worked poorly and recommended not using it - perhaps search his posts or PM him.

Eric Ucci
03-10-2012, 6:27 PM
Richard,
Yeah, I saw Rodne's post about that. He basically said its and don't bother. I'm sure he's probably right. I just wanted to have the option and check it out for myself. Plus, I paid for it so I'm trying to figure out what I didn't get.
No big deal if I don't get it.

john banks
03-10-2012, 7:14 PM
I got it but asked not to based on Rodney's trouble. Removing it didn't improve cutting, and so far the red dot hasn't died, but I keep it back from the mirror that the laser hits.

There is a combiner unit attached to the laser side of the first mirror.

Eric Ucci
03-12-2012, 12:50 AM
John,
Could you possibly post a photo of this thingy.

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Rodne Gold
03-12-2012, 1:44 AM
I wouldn't bother about the red dot , if its at the nozzle , it's almost impossible to align 100% especially after a lens clean and if at the beam splitter thing at the first mirror , as you saw , I had some issues. The only advantage of thru the lens red beam is for alignment , and even then its a bit dubious... We know where the laser is gonna fire cos of the nozzle . In all the years of lasering , I have NEVER used the red beam as a way of registering engraving with an object.....
they can send you the unit that attaches to the first mirror , called a 1/2 silvered combiner , round $30-40 as far as I remember.

john banks
03-12-2012, 1:19 PM
I have to write 10 characters to make a reply ;) so here is the picture.