PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Holly "Near Sphere" Hollow Form

Dale Bright
03-10-2012, 7:48 AM
This hollow form is from a very spalted and punky piece of holly that had a limb and bark inclusion.

I call these forms "near spheres" because I take no measurements and just turn the "near sphere" shape by eye, until it is pleasing to me.

This piece is about 4.5 inches in diameter with a 1 inch openeing. I used General's Woodturners Finish to reenforce the fibers for the final cuts and then used the same finsih as a sanding sealer, 2 coats. It is sanded to 500 grit with no additional finish.

Comments and critque are most welcome.

Dale

Clint Baxter
03-10-2012, 8:23 AM
Nice spalting and nice shape. Was the wood fairly solid? Could be some real fun hollowing when you have different densities. Do you turn a flat on the bottom or just part it off and sand it after removing from the lathe?

I definitely like these sphere shapes and you seem to have a good eye for them

Clint

Dale Bright
03-10-2012, 8:32 AM
Thanks, Clint, I reversed chucked it in a vacuum chuck and cut a 3/4" base for it to sit on. The wood was not solid at all, it was very punky and had a lot of tear out.

Dale

Richard Jones
03-10-2012, 9:13 AM
Cool looking wood and great form, not much else to say! Thanks for sharing.

Scott Hackler
03-10-2012, 9:49 AM
Great turning and great wood. Congrats on the WoW cover as well!

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Really nice looking wood and form. Congrats on Wow cover.

Allan Ferguson
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
That look really true in shape. I would not come close, even with good wood.

John Keeton
03-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I love spalted holly, and you certainly have done well with this piece! Haven't been over to WoW in a while, but congrats! Well deserved.

Bill Bolen
03-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I too saw this impressive piece on WOW the other day. Looks even better here! Must be the software on the creek!:D

David E Keller
03-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Beautiful piece!

Roger Chandler
03-10-2012, 1:32 PM
Congratulations on the WOW cover Dale..........this is a very nice piece of holly............you did good!

Rick Markham
03-10-2012, 2:01 PM
Wow Dale! Congrats on making the cover!!! Well deserved for sure, that's a spectacular piece!

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 7:44 PM
Dale - beautiful work! Love all the spalt and even noticed some red coloring in there! Congrats on getting the WOW cover... well deserved!

Steve Busey
03-10-2012, 7:57 PM
I love that Dale - the complete package: wood, form & finish!

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2012, 8:18 PM
Great form. The slightly "flattened" sphere has a lot of interest, more so, I am thinking, than a perfectly round piece. And the figure in this wood is fascinating. There is an illusion in the left picture of a slightly raised lip. That might be something to try on "the next one". All in all a great little turning and it looks sweet on the cover...

Dale Bright
03-10-2012, 8:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words about this form. I really like the "near spheres", there is no pressure to try for a perfect sphere (a difficult task for me). Getting selected for the WOW cover was a real unexpected honor but I have to confess, Mother Nature did the hard work on this one.

Dale

Ken Glass
03-10-2012, 8:48 PM
Dale,
That looks to be amount a perfect sphere. That in itself is some wonderful tool control and a keen eye. The wood is wonderful and the piece is very pleasing and elegant. A very nice piece indeed. Well done.

Baxter Smith
03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Beautiful wood and form Dale. I have tried spalting holly a couple of times in hopes of coming up with wood like this. I've only gotten staining so far. Any secrets or is it just the Virginia climate?;):)

Kathy Marshall
03-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Great looking piece Dale! Beautiful form and wood and congrats on the Wow cover!

martin baker
03-11-2012, 1:57 PM
Great work Dale. I have been using spalted Beech for some years now & I also came across some spalted Pear, does anyone know of any woods that does not "spalt"?

Steve Vaughan
03-11-2012, 3:26 PM
That's nice! So nice you want to pick it up and just look at all that spalting and such. Freestyle turning at it's finest...just turn until it looks about right, and this one sure does!

Dale Bright
03-11-2012, 3:34 PM
That's nice! So nice you want to pick it up and just look at all that spalting and such. Freestyle turning at it's finest...just turn until it looks about right, and this one sure does!

Thanks, Steve, that is the way I turn these shapes, free style until I am happy.

Dale