PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW718

Kyle Tucker
03-10-2012, 3:29 AM
I am wondering if any of you out there currently use this saw in your shop? I have used this saw before and love it - especially its cutting capacity (16" max) - which I guess is also its downfall for us woodworkers. I would like to incorporate this saw into my workbench area , but since there is around 34" of depth needed I need some help - I don't need or want a 30 some odd inch depth on my workbench top. This particular workbench in my shop will run 24' along one wall of the shop so I can also use the top as support for cutting. Any ideas, pictures, etc. would be of great help. I do not own the saw yet - but it is on closeout and can be found new for around $400. Thank you.

david brum
03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
If you need the storage space, you could build a wall of shop cabinets and leave an opening behind the CSMS. Otherwise, you could always build a bump-out in the shop wall, behind the saw. Another idea is to consider the Bosch CGM12SD, which has an articulated arm instead of sliders. It's more expensive and probably only has 12" of crosscut, but will flush against a wall.

Van Huskey
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Mount it on a piece of plywood with edges at the sides (a drawer with just a bottom, back and sides) then mount it with drawer slides so the top is even with the table, use some sort of pin to hold it extended for use and if you have an extended fence in the bench for the saw you can set the pin(s) so it indexes properly with the fence. Not sure how much room you saw with that saw as I don't know exactly how far it slides behind but you should save some, hopefully enough.

Mike Heidrick
03-10-2012, 3:14 PM
I own the DW717 10". To get the Max travel/cut requires a crazy removal of the fence brackets and a new sacrifical top installed. Measure the max travel before the conversion. I love the saw though - it can use the LED light over the blade casting a shadow line where the blade is - no laser needed. Its sweet.

Clint Olver
03-11-2012, 8:48 PM
I have the 718. It's great. The only downside I've found is the DC. I solved that problem by building a shrouded intake vent - it works well. I built it into my bench so boards sit flush on the table. I incorporated a 4' downdraft table to the left, and a 4' bench top to the right. It totals 10'2. The Bench is about 30" deep, but it doesn't have to be. In fact you don't have to have a uniform depth the whole length for that matter.

C

Kyle Tucker
03-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Thank you so much Clint for taking the time to take the pictures - very helpful. This is what I was thinking of doing, similar to my old setup with a 10" Craftsman bevel. I was just scared of the depth. Those look like standard 12" uppers - any issues getting into them with the deeper lower workbench? It may not have to be uniform depth, but I am too picky and it wouldn't look right to me every time I walked into the shop. :) Looks like you keep a clean shop there! Thanks again.

Clint Olver
03-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm 5'10", and reaching into the cabinet is not an issue. In fact, I keep my drills and drivers on top and can reach them fine. There is also a blast gate above the cabinet which I can reach fine.

I had to laugh when I read about your "old Craftsmen set up". Here's an old pic from my shop: