PDA

View Full Version : Advise for mobile base for xacta saw needed

Raymond Fries
03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I bought a Jet xacta saw with 50” rails from a fellow creeker. I need to purchase a mobile base for this saw. Here is where I need some advise. I want to make a storage cabinet on rollers that could tuck away under the extension table; preferable this cabinet would span the full width of the extension table. The mobile extension part # 708158 is attached to the mobile base on the saw in the middle; this accessory would also prohibit the cabinet spanning the full width of the extension table. The reviews on Amazon.com for the mobile part for the extension table (708158) says it is flimsy. Flimsy is not would what I would expect from Jet for $129.

Is there any reason why I need this? I will not be moving the saw that much. But if needed, could I just detach the extension table, move the saw, and reconnect it? This would allow the roller cabinet I was planning to make to span the full width of the extension table.

If the extension table really needs to stay attached o the saw, is the Jet accessory OK or are there other recommendations? Does anyone have the 708158 extension?

Any xacta saw owners out there that could provide advise?

Thanks

Dave Lehnert
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I have that same saw. I built my mobile base from the Delta mobile base kit like this.
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-50-345-Universal-Mobile-Included/dp/B0000223CL

Instead of wood I used 11ga, sq steel tubing. I built the base as you see under the cabinet but the front and back rail I ran straight through the brackets all the way to the right to support the table. I had to weld a cross piece to the far right, then a piece of angle iron to that for the table legs.
The lift caster has to be mounted to the far right by the table legs, not under the cabinet, or it won't lift up.
I have had mine for 10 years or so. Don't move it much at all but it has worked when needed and is rock solid.
I have a pic someplace, I will try to find it and post.

Dave Lehnert
03-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Sorry for the bad pic. they are photo's of photo's. I do not have my scanner hooked up right now. Hopefully it will give you an idea what I did. I thought about building a cabinet right on top of the base, but never did.

Van Huskey
03-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Why not just mount the extension to the top of the cabinet, it is supported in use and rolls when you want it to, just put a regular mobile base on the saw. Or you could do like the PM2000 and not have any rollers under the extension just lift the extension slightly and roll the saw it doesn't seem to hurt anything on the PM2000 saws.